My first kitchen remodel

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Never done this before, have hated the tile forever, love tearing it out

Cleared the bar (stove top will be replaced)

17D3F955-2515-45DC-91EB-37B203ABF3FC_zpsnvcprj1s.jpg

Gonna raise that down spot, what a lousy design

4E45279D-2CCA-47AC-94FC-E098CA9E990D_zpsxzrdqiyk.jpg

The leaky window goes bye bye

195E3F1B-012F-4D9F-8AE9-E056AB0E4A56_zpstwf2wcga.jpg

Got rot? Yeah buddy...

0869D65F-DBEF-4441-9D1A-1E7C42494D99_zpsyg8cqrjm.jpg

I couldn't get a quote below $20K, so I figure I'll do it myself. Even if I make every mistake possible, I can do it for half the lowest bid

i do like the design/idea of that window over the sink area. Makes a great "green house" area. Good luck with your reno :)

I have probably done about 6 kitchen DIY's and about to do a 7th soon. You are doing nice work. Everything has to work into a budget and it seems you are working that pretty well!
DIY means you have lots of flexibility in the project that you wouldn't if you were totally dependent on professionals. Looks like you have good skills and put them to use. Nice work!

Doing one of my 3 bathrooms over as we speak. But then I'm retired and time and attentions to detail is not an issue.

My Father (who is heavily multi talented in the trades) always told me. "You saved all that money - buy yourself a good tool after each project to make the next one easier" He was wise
in that. After 45 years I have a really nice tool set and the skills to use them. There's nothing that wastes time or adds frustration than the lack of the right tool when working a DIY.

Congrats on a great looking project bud.

R

I have one of those garden windows, seems they all pitch out eventually and start to rot.
I was able to replace the bottom with a piece of MDO and reseal it, but yours looks beyond that.
You going back to tile or another solid surface?

Tim

You going back to tile or another solid surface?
Quarts. I am sooooooooo over tile, never again! This is what's going in. The seller installs, I just have to have the cabinets prepped to install the quarts. It's $3.5K for all the quarts, installed. I bought a new range top, that was $1.5K and a new sink & faucet, that was another $500, so I'm already into this project $5K. Still have to get a new window, no planterbox window, just a plain old double panned window. That's going to be my biggest challenge, R&R the window

7279A0CA-93B7-4667-8791-2622C1B074FE_zps94vepqbo.jpg

buy yourself a good tool after each project to make the next one easier" He was wise in that
Your dad is much more practical than I. I figure I'm going save $10K minimum, and with that, I'm going to buy one of those Polaris Slingshots. My company sells Polaris, so I can get one at a good price :)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words, so as everyone is out of bed, back to demo work

I'm pretty dangerous with a small hammer....I better not bring in the sledge hammer. :)

Your dad is much more practical than I. I figure I'm going save $10K minimum, and with that, I'm going to buy one of those Polaris Slingshots. My company sells Polaris, so I can get one at a good price :)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words, so as everyone is out of bed, back to demo work

Well you are more like me then :)

I'm with you on the tile BTW. I did my current kitchen in 1996 which was a total gut, redesign etc. Floor ceiling, cabinets, plumping electrical, etc, etc. I think the bid was for 35K and we did it for about 12K with really nice appliances and custom Rutt cabinets. Anyway I used tile countertops as the materials were cheap and the labor was free. In the end. I took a month off of work and needed another week :)

The tile has serviced will but a solid smooth service is what I want now. We're looking at ripping up the tile countertop now and doing something solid. Probably similar what you are doing.

I'm retired now so have lots of time for attention to detail :)

That's going to be my biggest challenge, R&R the window

Yea changing out windows from different styles can be a pain. I like the look of box-out windows, built 3 on my house when I redid the siding and added the garden window when I gutted the kitchen.
I like the added 12" space or shelf you gain compared to a small sill.
Yours looks like the right elevation for the counter-top to flow right out there, did it? because I like that look.

Tim

I'm pretty dangerous with a small hammer....I better not bring in the sledge hammer. :)

You just need to give your sledgehammer a woman's name, like Betsy or ???

I like the pop out window too - I'd love to be able to grow fresh herbs in my kitchen, but you've lived with it already. I think you want a sliding window there so you can feed scraps to your chickens from the kitchen - amirite?

I've done three of them and yes you will learn from your mistakes. I was so good I made more mistakes on the last one then the first two combined, but I learned a lot, one thing was don't do a 4th one:p
Another thing is if you can save your old wall cabinets they make great garage cabinets.

Looks outstanding Chuck! Your selection of Quartz countertops looks great. Your double oven looks very similar to the one we just put in. I hear you on the tile. We're planning on renovating our kitchen also. We're going with solid surface Corian counters. You've inspired me.

Do you have a big sledge hammer like those "experts" on Home & Garden? :p

Had to say, this made me chuckle. We watch a lot of HGTV and it drives me nuts, throwing sinks through glass sliding doors, toilets out second story windows. Most of the time no eye protection, gloves etc. Nice idea on the old cabinets Rich

Chuck that project is awesome. Way to jump in and make it happen. I have no talent in this area. Good luck. I'm sure it is going to be great!

We're going with solid surface Corian counters
That's the good stuff, if this were the home I was going to retire in, I would go that route too, but this home gets sold the Spring of 2021

I'm in backsplash hell....We can't agree on backsplash

I'm perfectly happy with this:

BD4215E9-03E5-45CB-AA19-A5743080B925_zpswteetxr4.jpg

My bride leans toward this, which I could live with, but she won't commit

1F515157-DE10-4ABD-A46A-28365BCC7E5A_zpsgsbdemlw.jpg

I barely got any work done in the last two days, because of the dang backsplash...

Back