Another aftermaket grate question: Napolean Cast Iron

Garth C

TVWBB Super Fan
Many people when looking for aftermarket grates either go with Stainless Steel equivelenat of the original grate or a Craycort Cast Iron grate.

I"ve been contemplating gifting my weber stainless model to my dad (older rusted plated steel) and picking up one of these.

61WM2DsvpBL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00CYUELZY/tvwb-20

Pro's

- Handles (no tools required
- Cast iron cooking qualities
- flip up tabs to add cooking time.

Con's -

- Heavy
- Cast iron maintenance
- Might need a little grinding of tabs made of cast iron to fit flush

You can't go wrong with Craycort and if pricing is the issue, they have sales on Father's Day and Black Friday

I would add to the Pro's of the Napolean is the wave pattern. Much harder for food to fall through. I don't own either just an observation.

Price is similar to craycort.

One thing is I'm not sure if it's bare cast iron or porcelain coated.

I think I'd prefer the bare cast iron. That's just me. It seems like eventually you'll get rust and the porcelain is going to chip off. I've got the weber sear grate insert for the gourmet system and it started chipping. I now just treat it like cast iron and its fine.

I'm going back and forth about SS or CI for replacements for my gasser, I see arguments both ways, I going to take my time and wait for the "deal" to come along for whatever I choose. But, since it's the gasser I'm leaning more toward SS.
It's used mostly for quick projects so, I have some thinking to do.

Darrel...Just arrived today and fits perfectly....this is a pic in my performer 22.....you just have to Off-set it ever so slightly so it can fully rest on the weber grate holders because of the cut-out tabs it has. What I like about it?.....Heavy cast iron... I like that the sides flip-up to add coal, etc... I like the fact that it has handles to lift entire grate out.... and I like that the wavy pattern seems to make it more difficult for food to fall through i.e. asparagus, etc. I especially like the price and For the price I think it is a good buy.

Back