Holes in firebox on Weber 1100 redhead

Eugene Deel

I was gifted a redhead Weber Genesis 1100 (I think that's what it is) and other than the usual crud and minor rust on the frame I thought it would be a good restore project. As I removed the flavorizer bars and took a look at the inside of the firebox, I noticed several small holes around the edge of the firebox where the upper flavorizer bar ends rest. I also noticed some deterioration of the firebox near the front frame rail. It appears that the aluminum firebox is corroding away. Is this common on vintage Weber's? Structurally the firebox does not seem to be anywhere near falling apart so I'm wondering if I should even worry about this. All in all this may change my restore plans as I don't want to put a lot of time, money, and effort into this if it has a fatal, or near fatal flaw. I may just clean it up and use as is without replacing any parts. For now all I have is a dark picture of the outside. I have all the wood panels, they're just not in the picture.

It looks to be in overall decent condition. My guess is perhaps the previous owner may not have taken care of cleaning out the drip pan and fire box. They may have had a pretty serious grease fire and perhaps the fire box "warped" causing the north/south bars to "punch through" the fire box. Thinking it may not be entirely safe to use in this condition. However; I would not get rid of it. I'd hang on to it as a "parts donor" or a recipient of a parts donor. Those deep fire box Genesis grills are the best ones Weber ever made bar none! Better than the new stuff, far more versatile too. They do outstanding rotisserie, great grilling heck can even be re-purposed to do a little "smoking" too. I have smoked whole salmon and whole Lake Superior whitefish on mine. Heck I have even removed the top row of bars, taken an old stainless steel deep baking pan that fits 1/2 of the grill (from left to right) filled with lit hardwood lump charcoal and done outstanding steaks on it for those days when I'm just craving true charcoal flavor in my food. Once you get that grill done no one will be able to take it away unless they pry it from your cold dead hands

I picked up one identical to yours that someone was throwing away. It would have been quite a few dollars to restore. I kept it for donor parts as LMichaels suggested.

I found this one on CL for $75 that was in better shape.

I restored it and used the "redhead" lid and now I have a one of a kind Weber.

I also have the option to go with the stainless lid.

I picked up one identical to yours that someone was throwing away. It would have been quite a few dollars to restore. I kept it for donor parts as LMichaels suggested.

I found this one on CL for $75 that was in better shape.

I restored it and used the "redhead" lid and now I have a one of a kind Weber.

I also have the option to go with the stainless lid.

That is cool.

Back