Summit Charcoal - next version?

Mark Ra

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the Weber Summit Charcoal grill Center but having a little sticker shock and also wonder if a new version/generation/updated model might be coming out since it has almost been a year. I am not sure how Weber does their next generation or model years and it might be years before a new and improved SGC comes out. Thoughts? If you own one - how long have you had it and would you buy it again? Likes/dislikes, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the Weber Summit Charcoal grill Center but having a little sticker shock and also wonder if a new version/generation/updated model might be coming out since it has almost been a year. I am not sure how Weber does their next generation or model years and it might be years before a new and improved SGC comes out. Thoughts? If you own one - how long have you had it and would you buy it again? Likes/dislikes, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

If you want one now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now. I doubt their will be any changes soon.

I'll offer a contrarian point of view, not on the quality of these grills--I've got one, it's great--but on its future. I'm shocked that the Weber Summit Charcoal grills have been left out of the 2017 Weber Product Catalog. There was plenty of time for Weber to get those grills into the catalog, but they chose not to. Not sure what that says about their commitment to these two grills, either in their current state or as a general proposition. I don't have any inside info, but I wonder if changes are afoot.

I'll offer a contrarian point of view, not on the quality of these grills--I've got one, it's great--but on its future. I'm shocked that the Weber Summit Charcoal grills have been left out of the 2017 Weber Product Catalog. There was plenty of time for Weber to get those grills into the catalog, but they chose not to. Not sure what that says about their commitment to these two grills, either in their current state or as a general proposition. I don't have any inside info, but I wonder if changes are afoot.

The only change I could think of would be to either change the price, change the quality or both. The only knock on the grill at this point has been its price. All in all it seems like a very nice piece of cooking equipment otherwise.

I never think of it as wasted money if you use it alot. I never skimp on quality product I use daily or very often. You'll only regret if you don't use it. You'll wish you would of gone with regular kettle at 1/10th the price.

The only change I could think of would be to either change the price, change the quality or both. The only knock on the grill at this point has been its price. All in all it seems like a very nice piece of cooking equipment otherwise.

I can't imagine they'd raise the price, it's spendy enough. I can't see them lowering the price without de-contenting it either. It's still new and they certainly invested a bunch into developing it, they won't drop it. Especially since those who bought one seem to be pleased with it. The only real knock against it is the high price. It's just hard to justify when the same amount of money will buy a kettle, a gasser, and a WSM.

I could maybe see them removing the gas assist and maybe marketing a "light it yourself" version without the table for a few hundred less, and that might well sell decently. Heck, I might even be interested in that.

I don't think removing the gass assist will move the needle on production cost, so I wouldn't expect that change to precipitate a lower MSRP.

My take on it is it's a high end Kamado type cooker, which the kettle is not. All the criticisms of it being to high priced come from comparing it to other Weber products, which are not kamados. If, however, you are in the market for a Big Green Egg XL or a Primo Oval XL (like I was) you don't find the price to be excessive.

To get to the OP's question, I bought mine in May and really enjoy it. I wouldn't expect to many changes, Weber is not Apple where they release new versions every year. My observation is that product modifications are on a 3-5 year cycle, and even then they are minor/modest changes. I say, if your ready to spend the dough and want a Kamado cooker, place your order today.

Back