JJ with CajunBandit Conversion vs. 14" WSM

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I'll be doing more camping this year; our family along with 2-4 others, so I'm looking for a more portable smoking solution that can reasonably prepare enough food for 15-20 people. I'm thinking on the order of a couple butts, or a butt and a small brisket, or a couple of whole chickens. I currently have an 18" WSM, which could certainly handle all of that, but it's not exactly portable, not to mention I'm planning to sell it to a friend when I upgrade to a 22 next month.

I also have a Jumbo Joe, so I was thinking of the Cajun Bandit Conversion. At a hair over $200, it's actually a bit more than a 14" WSM, but should give a lot more usable space. Plus, it's very easy to switch it back to grill mode if needed. My big hangup is how well it'll work since it's not designed to be a smoker.

The 14" WSM, on the other hand, seems like the perfect solution since it's small and from all accounts I've heard, works very well at maintaining temps.

Now, packing-wise, I'm thinking the JJ and CB stacker ring would probably nest together to make a fairly compact package. On the other hand, the 14" WSM is pretty darn small and I could probably just put the cover on, wrap it with a few bungee cords and leave it standing in back of the truck for the trip.

So, for camping-specific use, with the requirement to feed up to about 20 people, would you choose the CB conversion for the JJ, or a 14" WSM?

While I think the $200 is a steep price to pay, I think I'd get more use out of a 18.5 conversion kit than a 14" WSM...

Now if only I could get myself to drop $200 on the accessory...

Now if only I could get myself to drop $200 on the accessory...

I know what you mean as I just dropped around $180.00 for a Slow N Sear Plus which included the Costa Rica Import Tax and shipping costs to Costa Rica.

However, if it enhances the BBQ experience, "without the Kiddies needing new shoes", IMO it is money well spent.

On the subject; I recommend the WSM 14" for the portability factor and appears to be a no-fuss unit as the OP already has WSM user experience. I also have a WSM 18" "Classic" but would not have the room or energy to take it camping.

However, The OP's WSM 18" breaks-down into three sections and maybe his camping associates can help him out by each packing a section of the WSM to the campsite.

Last edited:
I have both a 14.5" and a 18.5" WSM. The 14.5" does a fine job. I have done two 8-9 lb. Boston Butts for pulled pork (often) and using a couple of rib racks have done six ribs halves and could have done eight at a time. If you need more capacity, then the 18.5" seems like it's doable with a bit of help from your fellow campers.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Chad, good day!

what are you driving to the camping trip? if your family is in a truck, a purchase of three 24" rubber straps and a light duty ratchet strap will take your 18.5 most anywhere you decide to go. and knowing you have one, thinking about moving to the 22", your experience with the WSM will also be a help in the woods, no trial and or error.... please take this advise as my 2 cents only! and for 2 more cents, scooping up the 14" WSM would be my spending rather than the CB. so, back to the travel means, car or small SUV, gotta tell you, i'd still go with an old hot water heater box and stop at your local u-haul dealer, grab a small wardrobe box, pack your smoker and away you go! good luck and enjoy yourself! remember to hoist your food high or lock it up in the vehicle with the windows up.

Chad, good day!

what are you driving to the camping trip? if your family is in a truck, a purchase of three 24" rubber straps and a light duty ratchet strap will take your 18.5 most anywhere you decide to go. and knowing you have one, thinking about moving to the 22", your experience with the WSM will also be a help in the woods, no trial and or error.... please take this advise as my 2 cents only! and for 2 more cents, scooping up the 14" WSM would be my spending rather than the CB. so, back to the travel means, car or small SUV, gotta tell you, i'd still go with an old hot water heater box and stop at your local u-haul dealer, grab a small wardrobe box, pack your smoker and away you go! good luck and enjoy yourself! remember to hoist your food high or lock it up in the vehicle with the windows up.

I've got a Tacoma pickup. Even with the short bed, there's a good amount of room. However, as I said, I'm selling the 18.5" after I get the 22.5". So, what I'm really trying to decide is whether I also buy a 14.5" OR the Cajun Bandit conversion for my Jumbo Joe. The prices between the two are nearly the same, so I guess it really comes down to what I can justify having around and storing. Currently, I have a small shed that holds the 18.5" and the JJ. It's got plenty of room for the 22.5" and if I store the stacker ring ON the JJ, it should fit as well. However, I don't think I'll fit the 14.5" AND the JJ in there, which means finding another place to tuck that when not in use. This sounds trivial to us, but SWMBO can be critical about the amount of "stuff" that accumulates on our patio.

Also, when packing to go camping, I could possibly fit both the JJ (I'll need a grill anyway) and the 14.5", but I want to be as efficient with space as possible. I'm betting with the CB kit, the grates, diffuser and charcoal ring could store inside the JJ and that itself could sit inside the stacker ring.

So, I think I just talked myself into the CB kit.

Chad, isn't it interesting how we can "justify" our original ideas when we take the time to write out the pros and cons? I love it!
Enjoy the new toy! Have a wonderful camping trip too!

Back