Reverse searing woes.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The last couple of times I've cooked steaks I've tried the reverse sear. I've also in both cases overcooked my steaks to medium well to well done. These steaks were about 1 inch think maybe, so that may be on the thin side. The first I cooked to an internal temp of 125 (on accident my lovely igrill2 lost connection and I didn't realize it. Why they don't have an alarm for that I can't on my life figure out). The 2nd time I did 115. One steak came out ok, the other was badly over cooked by the time I did a 2 minute sear on each side, lid open. The difference is one had a longer rest before I seared them. My problem with this method, is that it's almost completely guesswork trying to figure out a good internal temp to come out medium rare. It depends on steak thickness, did you rest in the middle, how hot is your fire, etc. Front searing steaks is almost idiot proof with a thermapen. Even then though, there is some guesswork on final temp vs doneness.

Last edited:
Dustin. I'd agree that the steaks were a bit on the thin side for a reverse sear.
If I'm doing steaks 1 inch or under, I will either use the vortex, (upside down), or the UBBQ Chimney Griller. Screaming hot & 1 minute either side for med/rare.

I use an internal temperature of about 100 F for the indirect initial cook. That usually takes about 10 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 inch thick steak. After hitting 100 F, I remove the steak from the grill, then turn up the burners for direct searing.
I cook the steaks over the direct heat for 1 minute, then rotate 90 degrees for 1 minutes. Then flip over and repeat for the other side. I pull the steaks when about 130 to 135 F internal temp for medium rare. I have had consistent results with ribeyes.

Summary:
20 minutes indirect heat until 100 F internal.
2 minutes per side direct heat until 135 F internal.
Rest steaks for 5 minutes.

For "skinny" steaks (an inch or less) I nuke (600+ degrees) from beginning to end, that almost always tenders them up pretty good. My nuke plants are either the flaming WSM or the Genny full blast

I've been interested in RSing for a while, but whenever I get the steaks on the grill I do it the "old" way.

On high, 2 mins, re-position for grill marks, another 2 mins, turn over and repeat. Then continue grilling over an OFF burner for 11-15 mins. Mine comes off at 140 and the wife's at 150. 10 mins rest and done.

That's about my method too Bill. Sometimes, the old ways, are still the best ways!
Hey, I just noticed your location, I was born in Moline!

I'll probably give it another shot here pretty soon. I'm toying with getting a used genesis. My wife is going back to school and I have to watch my 16 month old toddler son several nights a week. I think it'd be easier than trying to fire up a chimney, etc.

These steaks were about 1 inch think maybe, so that may be on the thin side.

Hey Dustin, you gotta start buying thicker steaks. We have been enjoying the availability of Prime Ribeyes at H-E-B and have been experimenting with various grilling options. Bottom line - up to 1-1/4": Hot fire; sear for about 3-4 minutes; flip and cook for about 1 minute. Done. Leave the beautiful seared side up when you serve, because the other side will be sort of sad looking gray, but the steak won't be overdone.

For the best reverse sear, get a 2-1/2" beauty and do it indirect until about 110-115 internal, then sear for about 2 minutes per side over turbo-hot coals. I throw some oak on the fire during the indirect phase -- it can take up to 30-40 minutes -- and you'll get a nice mild smoky layer in the finished product. There is a good basic procedure at amazingribs.com.

Jeff

What temp is your cooker at when doing the indirect cook? This should be low n slow. If doing the indirect at a hot temp the internal temp of the steak will rise during the rest period. I do my Reverse Sears at 225-250 and it usually takes a good 25 minutes or more before they reach about 110 internal. Then rest while I throw more coals on and bring up the heat to searing temp. I then place the steaks over the fire and flip often every 1 minute till seared. Usually only takes 2-3 minutes per side or a total of 4-6 flips. This is also done with the lid off because I do not want to bake the steaks anymore. No rest period after the sear because they have already rested. And as stated, the RS only really works on thicker streaks.

Tim: No, I had a rough night of drinking the night prior at a conference in 1998 and felt a bit dizzy while driving. I went to the hospital just in case because I had a heart attack in 1997 (at 42). I've been fine ever since. No more scares.

Back