Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: That feeling when you know what is about to happen next will be amazing....

JKim,
    I'm glad I could be of help.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier G View Post
    Hi everyone

It took me a bit longer to wrap up my honeydo list, but I finally got clearance from the tower to start Weber work (real work). The thing is, since the original post, I have accumulated more grills!

Here's the brief update:

-Cooked on the better Skyline with the CI grates in it's original state

-Ordered all replacement ss hardware and RCPlaneBuyer flavorizers / grates for when I got ok to weber

-Picked up a Silver A blacktop

-Picked up a Silver C burgundy top

-Picked up another Skyline, stripped for parts, dumped frame and firebox

-Picked up ANOTHER Skyline, refurbed it 70% of the way as practice, gave it to friends who just moved here and had no grill for the Memorial Day BBQ they were hosting

-Sold the first Skyline with a bit of fix up to a buddy who fully caught the bug and went full RCPlaneBuyer on it

-Picked up a 2000lx with all the durawood (!) that I decided I want for the keeper, will keep a skyline lid because I like the logo

-Discovered the lx horizontal frame bottom bars have the end cap boltholes rusted out (the ones IN the tube ends, bars themselves are fine), so now that's on hold

-Got commitment from a co-worker that he wants to buy the Silver A

So that's where I am at. Wife is NOT AMUSED with the amount of grills / grill parts in our side / backyard. She doesn't understand that we NEED THEM.

Current task is good enough rehab of the Silver A to sell. Then it's component resto on keeper parts while I look for another 2000 frame or find someone who can weld me in some nuts - saw that option on a thread here.

Being able to make forward progress with bits and pieces toward the end goal (full manifold / valve teardown - thanks Chris! - tank scale disassemble / repaint) has slaked my thirst as I molt into my final form.

I do promise to post pics once I have all parts in hand for the final keeper!
    Xavier, I found this older post and cracked up laughing. I had to explain my laughter to my wife, but she is also not amused by my grill restoration addiction . I am working on getting Skyline parts to do a custom version restore, so I was wondering if you have had time to make any progress with your Skylines. If so, would love to see some pictures!
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

Hello Fellow Afflicted-

Update:

I have the LX frame totally redone to where I am happy with it. I spent longer than I care to admit blasting out the firebox with wire wheel, only to discover on my completion that the ear that receives the hinge pin is BROKEN (!).

Oh Em Gee. So much for those noisy hours.

I decided to drop in my RC grates and flavorizers and use it anyway until I get an appetite to burn some more time cleaning out another. I just had a baby so any spare time I get is for naps for the forseeable future.

Here she is, with the Skyline lid:

RCPlaneBuyer 13 ct flavorizer bars and 3/8" rod grates. If you love yourself (and you do), you owe it to yourself to save up or whatever you need to do to have these in your life. They are top shelf quality, and absolutely worth the $200 you will drop on the whole set.

Here are the grates in action. They get a nice flavo-patina, so I'm glad I snapped the shot of the initial install:

So, on the keeper:

=====
    DONE
    =====
    - totally stripped, sanded and rebuilt 2000 frame with new threaded endcap inserts
    - fresh paint all frame
    - new casters
    - new wheels
    - new ignition
    - new knobs
    - toredown / rebuilt gas train

=====
    To Do:
    =====
    - clean out different firebox and swap in
    - refresh Weber emblem
    - maybe replace durawood with dark stained wood
    - rebuild and install good tank scale
    - teardown and paint new firebox and endcaps of keeper lid

Oh! On the topic of keeper lid -

Today was a good Craigslist day in Denver. I picked up not one but TWO freebie grills. A 1000 Genesis NatGas Redhead and another propane Silver A. Since I don't want to get divorced I left them at work until I can process them.

The NatGas redhead is pretty busted, but the main bits are definitely serviceable. The Silver A is pristine, and even came with a cover and a full tank!

I have been on the HUNT for a redhead lid for years, as my back neighbors' 1000 stares at me every time I am at the kitchen window. I like the idea of keeping the redhead lid and one Skyline lid to suit my fancy. I mean, you have more than one pair of shoes, don't you? DON'T YOU?!?!? And it was YESterday that my buddy who just moved here was saying he wanted me to help him source a NatGas Genesis. Knock, and the door truly shall be opened!

So, I'll poach the red lid and swap it for an extra Skyline I have, then that unit goes to buddy. I'll poach the Silver A tank scale, and with minimal work that one gets flipped.

That's where I am at! I'll post more as I get along, but it'll probly be a bit into the summer yet.

Grill on Y'all

-X

I want a description of how good those steaks were, like you talked about in your first post on here!
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

What is with that strange perforated bracket at the back and the shiny looking back of the fire box?

Quote Originally Posted by THyde View Post
    I want a description of how good those steaks were, like you talked about in your first post on here!
    Sure LOOKED GREAT!!!
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    What is with that strange perforated bracket at the back and the shiny looking back of the fire box?
    Larry,

I think the shiny back is just that he got the aluminum totally clean and smooth. The perforated box looks like a wood chip smoker box to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier G View Post
    Hello Fellow Afflicted-
    Oh! On the topic of keeper lid -

Today was a good Craigslist day in Denver. I picked up not one but TWO freebie grills. A 1000 Genesis NatGas Redhead and another propane Silver A. Since I don't want to get divorced I left them at work until I can process them.

The NatGas redhead is pretty busted, but the main bits are definitely serviceable. The Silver A is pristine, and even came with a cover and a full tank!

I have been on the HUNT for a redhead lid for years, as my back neighbors' 1000 stares at me every time I am at the kitchen window. I like the idea of keeping the redhead lid and one Skyline lid to suit my fancy. I mean, you have more than one pair of shoes, don't you? DON'T YOU?!?!? And it was YESterday that my buddy who just moved here was saying he wanted me to help him source a NatGas Genesis. Knock, and the door truly shall be opened!

So, I'll poach the red lid and swap it for an extra Skyline I have, then that unit goes to buddy. I'll poach the Silver A tank scale, and with minimal work that one gets flipped.
    -X
    Xavier,

Your posts are a blast to read, especially on the last day of tax season! I laugh because I have left a grill at work because I didn't want to bring it home, too. And, yes, I think you DO need AT LEAST 2 pairs of shoes - and grills, too!

Maybe we can work out a swap of one of my red hoods for your Skyline hood!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    That is a smoker box. I have one (longer) for my genesis. Drop the wood chips in and it sits between two of the EW flavo bars. They work wonderfully. Mine was about $15 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...WJIQGW/tvwb-20
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

I can't imagine polishing that aluminum THAT much

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast