Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That feeling when you know what is about to happen next will be amazing....

TVWBB Pro
    Good deals! We were at Lowe's buying a new disposal and walked by their Weber grill display. WOW! I haven't done the math yet, but how many burgers and steaks do I have to cook to justify a $1K grill???

I liked that story, and how its written.
    It's always better two than one.. everyone knows it
    Spirit E310 & 47 - And if that's all there is, it ain't so bad

Very cool, good story! Great grill find. I think I would most likely try to restore both to full glory. You never know when you will just want some extra space!
    It is so sunny and warm (for February) I pulled the winter shroud off the big table to uncover the 18 and I rolled the blue "Silver B" out! Planning on the Genny tonight for the arrival of my sister, have not seen her in three years! Tomorrow, I need to fire both the kettles, the black 22 for a butt and the maroon 18 for Mac and Cheese!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff MA View Post
    Xavier,
    Great story and well written too.

I did the same thing as you, went out and bought a Weber Genesis Platinum II and a month later purchased a Weber 4900.

If you like you can check out my restore on my Platinum II here:
    http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6637...ration-started

You've come to the right place here for your Weber, lots of good guys and a wealth of info to be had.

Jeff

Jeff, that thing is a beaut. I have ordered 316 SS hardware for all the doodads shown in the assembly manual, but I see that YOU found the retaining screws that hold the endcaps onto the lid as well! Can you tell me about those - how did you find the size? Are they 1/4" diameter 20 threads per inch like the rest of the fasteners?

TVWBB Super Fan
    Thanks Xavier.

I used Stainless 1/4" x 20 5/8" long tapered bolts.
    Weber uses splined bolts with those thin "speed nuts" originally.
    You can reuse the nuts if you want too.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff MA; 07-10-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Photobucket "greed"

I just stumbled across this post. Have there been any updates to the grills?

Hi everyone

It took me a bit longer to wrap up my honeydo list, but I finally got clearance from the tower to start Weber work (real work). The thing is, since the original post, I have accumulated more grills!

Here's the brief update:

-Cooked on the better Skyline with the CI grates in it's original state

-Ordered all replacement ss hardware and RCPlaneBuyer flavorizers / grates for when I got ok to weber

-Picked up a Silver A blacktop

-Picked up a Silver C burgundy top

-Picked up another Skyline, stripped for parts, dumped frame and firebox

-Picked up ANOTHER Skyline, refurbed it 70% of the way as practice, gave it to friends who just moved here and had no grill for the Memorial Day BBQ they were hosting

-Sold the first Skyline with a bit of fix up to a buddy who fully caught the bug and went full RCPlaneBuyer on it

-Picked up a 2000lx with all the durawood (!) that I decided I want for the keeper, will keep a skyline lid because I like the logo

-Discovered the lx horizontal frame bottom bars have the end cap boltholes rusted out (the ones IN the tube ends, bars themselves are fine), so now that's on hold

-Got commitment from a co-worker that he wants to buy the Silver A

So that's where I am at. Wife is NOT AMUSED with the amount of grills / grill parts in our side / backyard. She doesn't understand that we NEED THEM.

Current task is good enough rehab of the Silver A to sell. Then it's component resto on keeper parts while I look for another 2000 frame or find someone who can weld me in some nuts - saw that option on a thread here.

Being able to make forward progress with bits and pieces toward the end goal (full manifold / valve teardown - thanks Chris! - tank scale disassemble / repaint) has slaked my thirst as I molt into my final form.

I do promise to post pics once I have all parts in hand for the final keeper!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier G View Post
    Current task is good enough rehab of the Silver A to sell. Then it's component resto on keeper parts while I look for another 2000 frame or find someone who can weld me in some nuts - saw that option on a thread here.
    Are you talking about this tread-
    https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?667...r-Weber-Grills

Jeff

No, Jeff, that was not the thread, but as usual, your solution is simpler and more elegant than what I had in mind.

I never woulda thunk threaded square tube inserts were a thing. Just ordered off McMaster.

I owe you a beer!

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'm holding you to that next time I'm in the Denver area.

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast