Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st attempt @ bacon- not good

TVWBB Member
    Made some more this morning and it did not seem to bad too me. My son wouldn't eat it. I got to thinking, why even cure it? I keep my meat refrigerated/frozen not hanging out in a barn.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis B View Post
    Made some more this morning and it did not seem to bad too me. My son wouldn't eat it. I got to thinking, why even cure it? I keep my meat refrigerated/frozen not hanging out in a barn.
    Fried or grilled fresh side pork, as some call it, is good in my opinion, but it's not bacon and will taste different.
    Curing preserves it, and I'm not sure what the refrigerated unfrozen shelf life is for pork belly, but not nearly as long as for cured bacon.

If you are using tablespoons as a measurement for salt when you are trying to make bacon, you have a problem before you start to make your bacon. The "tablespoon" is not accurate enough. It is better to use grams, or any measurement based on weight. Calculate the salt in % of the meat weight. 2,5% is low, 4% is quite high. If you are curing a normal slab, the difference between the two teaspoons looks small. The difference in taste is large.
    Further on, by using weight, you eliminate the difference introduced in volume from the different types of salt. Believe me, salt is not salt, measured in volume.
    Good luck with the curing!
    Norway, powered by nature

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Lewis,
    I haven't tried this but you could blanch a few slices in boiling water for a couple of seconds, dry, then fry.
    I think it was member Kevin Kruger that mentioned doing this for less shrinkage or less saltiness, can't remember.

If you do make bacon again then test for the salt level after the rinse/soak before smoking, too salty? then soak longer.
    Good luck!
    Yes to both. You can blanch slices in boiling water for several seconds or up to a few minutes. This will remove salt and also partially cook the bacon so it then will cook in a shorter time and crisp more efficiently (great when you're using bacon for bacon-wrapped whatever). Next time you cure simply rinse well then trim off a tiny piece. Cook in neutral oil till cooked through then taste. If too salty soak the entire slab in cold water to cover for an hour or two, changing the water once during the process then trim another little piece, cook and taste again. Repeat if still too salty for your taste.
    Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12