What is the thickness of the steel shell in the WSM 18.5inch/47cm

MBrooker

Hi All, I am comparing the following two products.

Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5inch/47cm.

and

Pro Q Excel 20 Elite 3 in one BBQ and Smoker.

home-angled-stackers-Excel20-Elite.jpg

Trying to work out best value smoker. Does anyone know the thickness of the steel shell of the WSM 18.5 inch/47cm.

Thanks

Hi All, I am comparing the following two products.

Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5inch/47cm.

and

Pro Q Excel 20 Elite 3 in one BBQ and Smoker.

home-angled-stackers-Excel20-Elite.jpg

Trying to work out best value smoker. Does anyone know the thickness of the steel shell of the WSM 18.5 inch/47cm.

Thanks

What exactly does the thickness in metal have to do with the best value. Wondering which will bring more money for scrap iron?

I can't imagine that the difference in steel thickness could make a difference in heat retention. If you want heat retention, you should look at a ceramic cooker. Of course, me and most on this board would promote the WSM. All I can say regarding heat retention is that I can keep a WSM in operating temp without refueling long enough to do a pork butt (over 15 hours), so I think it has pretty good heat retention. I don't think this has anything to do with the thickness of the steel, but rather, the tightness of the unit. Let it get a coating on it, make sure it's round and the lid and door are seated well, keep it out of the wind and the WSM will serve you well.

If there is a significant cost difference, I would ask more about the coating. The WSM is porcelain enamel and if taken care of will last a life time. Not sure about the Pro Q.

Many years ago I had a Napoleon Apollo 300 (Canadian ProQ), which is probably/most likely the equivalent to the ProQ Excel 20.

Here's my take:

It's mid size between a 18.5 & 22.5 WSM - has good capacity. It's a fuel hog if you use it with the water pan. If using water in cool/cold weather - it will be a struggle to cook at 225* - let alone higher temps. It's leaky... doesn't seal well between sections. Doors also did not seal well. If you like using the doors to add charcoal or meat or whatever - they are too small, imho.

The metal was not porcelain enamel coated (this could have changed) & the lid had runs in the powder coating. Thickness of metal - about the same as a WSM.

I liked the way the sections could "clamp" together & also the handles. You can purchase additional stackers reasonable to add capacity. It had a rod in the lid so you could hang meat/sausage & came with hooks for that.

Had grommets to insert temp probes in each section, but they are too small. Because they were stainless steel, I couldn't enlarge them to accommodate the Maverick probes - they just spun while attempting drilling. Would do the slot mod even if the grommets had larger holes.

In the USA, it costs the same as the 22.5 WSM. The WSM comes with a cover. You have to purchase one for the Apollo.

The Napeolleon Apollo 200 is a 16" smoker. No experience with it, however would like to point out that it is midway in size between the 18.5 & 14.5 WSM. That may or may not be an issue for you. It also costs $250 which is midway between the 18.5 & 14.5 WSM. I'm not sure if a cover is available for it. The WSMs come with covers. I would think the metal would be the same thickness as the 300.

Would like to point out that the grill (and probably the charcoal) grates for both the 300 & 200 are an uncommon size (in the USA) & may be difficult to replace.

Weber customer service is second to none. Know nothing about ProQ or Napoleon customer service.

Given what I know now, it could be a good cooker depending on how you use it. I cook direct & at higher temps these days, never use a water pan & rarely a diffuser so I think it would work well if you didn't use water in it.

Last edited:
The one he's describing appears to be enameled. Thickness of course will affect heat retention however I'd argue that with a vertical smoker like that heat retention is not as big an issue. Of course if you are in high winds you'll have a harder time. You are on a Weber fan site so of course we are going to look for ways to dis the Pro Q. I will say it has some cool features that I wish the WSM has. You probably can't go wrong.

I see...they added a cross piece to the legs on the largest unit. Apparently no change needed on the smaller models, they don't have the cross piece.

OxWNXTb.jpg

Back