My Dual WSM Cart Build

JS Lockwood

Just started this weekend on making a cart to house my two 22.5's. I'd post pics but I've yet to get that privilege.

The frame is done in welded steel, with the top being 1" angle to accept an drop-in top. The legs and base frame are all 1" square tubing. We made and welded in nut plates for the legs on one end to allow for an adjustable base. The other side I installed a pair of 10-1/4" No Flat tires.

Next up is figuring out what to use as a top deck and a base deck.

Ok, let's see if this works.

The cart frame
gr6pM8Z.jpg

Because I wanted to make sure the fit was good, I decided to use plywood for the time being. And surprisingly, my engineering was spot on.
BJObmXW.jpg

XzF2MbO.jpg

And then made a mount for my DigiQ's. The leads are held in place by cable clips mounted under the top deck.
vJuwnPR.jpg

BADASS !!!! Would love to see pix of that when it's finished.

You might consider adding some gussets to keep everything square.

Last edited:
This week I'm going to take out the Smokey's and pull out the plywood. What I decided to do, to minimize the weight, is to weld in support beams on the bottom that correspond to the location of the legs of the smokers. Then I'll install a sheet of expanded metal on the bottom as well as the top. Since the top has no weight on it I won't have to worry about extra support bars.

I'll rattle-can it after that. More pics to come after I get it done.

Very nice JS. Looks like you are going to have the first Dual 22 WSM Performer.

Got rid of the plywood and did both levels in expanded metal. We welded in some added supports to the lower section the tack welded the expanded metal onto that and the base frame. Everything got painted in red and black.
7tKaXeg.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! Good idea getting rid of the wilburized Ply, hate seeing that stuff round food prep.

Tim

Thanks! I have black and red DigiQ's to match. Damn gadget OCD.

Boy, there's a statement I can completely identify with! I suffer from grilling equipment "Gizmosis"(the continual acquisition of more and more gizmos) as well. When I finally get the hog roaster home, it might be the repository for not frequently used parts and accessories. I might have enough room in the garage after that to put in a workbench and use it again!
I can store the Smokey Joe, hibachi, extra grates, fish holder(40 years old and never had a fish in it!) extra chimney all that sort of thing!
It will be interesting to take an inventory! Maybe a little scary.

Looks grate!!! I'm sure you will enjoy the convenience of the "table".
I'm curious: for how many folks do you usually cook?

Looks grate!!! I'm sure you will enjoy the convenience of the "table".
I'm curious: for how many folks do you usually cook?

Because I do competition cooks on occasion, that's how I justified the second Smokey. Otherwise, it's the occasional neighborhood cook.

Back