Weber 47cm/18.5 Inch Smokey Mountain Cooker Cooking Results vs Weber Kettle

MBrooker

Hi All,

I currently have a Weber kettle and I am considering buying a 47cm/18.5 inch smokey mountain cooker. I was hoping for some feedback on the below.

1: Can you achieve the same results on a Weber Kettle as you do in the smokey mountain cooker.
2: If you already have a Weber kettle do you you think there is any need to buy the smokey mountain cooker.
3: I usallay only cook for my family so the kettle is normally big enough is. Taking this into account why else would I buy the weber smokey mountain cooker.
4: Is the 47cm/18.5 inch big enough to cook ribs and small brisket.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your feedback.

They are designed for two completely different types of cooking. The grill is a hot cooker. You can make it work at lower temps by doing various things but you have to watch it. Then you also have the issue of distance of the food to the heat source. The closer it is the faster it will cook.

Where a WSM is a slow and low cooker. It doesn't have as large of vents so it doesn't burn as hot. The smaller vents also allow for finer adjustment. Then you have a larger distance from the coal. A heat deflector, or heat sink is used to control temp. Some people use flat some objects others use the included water pan. Water will not get over 212 deg f because it boils. So you have this large 200 deg mass of water between the heat and food.

Thanks.

I just wasn't sure as I thought it may have been a waste of money to buy both.

Do you feel the meat is juicer out of the WSM due to the water pan.

You can definitely smoke on the kettle, but it's not as convenient. Most people with WSM's don't use the water pan. I have both. The WSM is much better at long cooks and you can fit more meat on it.

Thanks.

I just wasn't sure as I thought it may have been a waste of money to buy both.

Do you feel the meat is juicer out of the WSM due to the water pan.
The meat isn't necessarily juicier, but more tender. The low and slow method for ribs, brisket, pork butts, etc. breaks down the connecting tissues and also allows for the full flavor from the smoke and rubs to penetrate the meat. Definitely not a waste to buy a WSM. The 18.5" is plenty big (you can do ribs and a small brisket on a 14.5" if so desired).

As stated, you can grill and smoke with the kettle and you can smoke and grill with the WSM. However, it is much easier to grill on the kettle and much easier to smoke on the WSM. I have both and love the flexibility I have.

^^
What Andy & Dustin say.
If you're mainly cooking for family, consider getting the 14.5 (37cm). I've fed eight people just using just the top grate on my 14.5. It's miserly on fuel consumption, & can cook up a storm. And you'll save a bit of cash too.

Last edited:
I have the 22 so I may be off a little, but I think the grate sizes for the 14 are 13.5 and 13 inches in diameter.

Thanks guys very much appreciated. Can you buy chance tell me what size each of the cooking grilles are. I believe they are different sizes. I can't decide if to by WSM 47cm/18.5 inch or Pro Q Excel Elite. It has the benefit of smoke,bake,grille. What do you think. Check out there website.

http://proqsmokers.com.au/products/3-in-1-bbq-smokers/proq-excel-20-elite/

Replied to this question on your other thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69076-Grille-size-on-WSM-47CM-18-5-Inch

Here in Costa Rica I bought new a Weber OTG 22" in the year 2006; then, I bought a new WSM 18" Classic in the year 2008; since my OTG rusted-out I bought a new Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill last year and also a new Weber Smoky Joe.

Since my 74 year old Back is giving me some pain now and then I just purchased a SlowNSear for my Weber Mastertouch hopefully keeping the stooping up and down to a minimum which is necessitated when using the WSM Classic. I still plan to use the WSM Classic for all-night cooks once-in-while.

So, if you have the room and budget having a variety of Cookers gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking for one or many in this great BBQ/Grilling hobby. As you can see I bought the above over a 10 year period as my wants or needs surfaced in this great hobby.

Of note, The OTG/Mastertouch was used much more often than the WSM Classic over these 10 Plus Years.

Last edited:
I also have multiple cookers, a WSM22, a Performer, the small smokey joe, and a 20 year old Genesis. They all have there place in the rotation and it really depends what I am cooking. They are all great cookers and whatever you use, you will be happy. Some I got on Craigslist and others I paid full retail, and the SJ was a gift a few years ago. The key is, get what works for you. Good Luck.

Anything you can do on a Weber kettle, you can do on a WSM. I put in a extra vent and can get high heat and cook directly over the coals, without fear of burning. Chicken on on the WSM cooked hot without water pan works great. If you want low and slow, put in foiled water pan and smoke.

Back