Cleaning Question

I've used 0000 steel wool with Windex with pretty good results. Spray a good amount of Windex on it and rub with the steel wool

I used a (hot) wet dishcloth while the lid was either on the way up or down, maybe a little baking soda on the cloth of its stubborn. Usually on the down side, shut it down, leave the cloth on while you have dinner, wipe it off, ambient heat can be such a good friend!

I use awesome orange cleaner from the .99 cent store. Amazing stuff compared to other cleaners. Then just a scrubby. If you let it bake on to long then you will need to use oven cleaner and more aggressive things like copper scrubbers like chore boy that can be found at places like walgreens.
I basically stopped using steel wool due to rust issues.

I'm in the Timothy F. Lewis camp...in the early stages of a cook, when the grill is hot, I will take a damp cloth and carefully wipe the hot vent to remove this build-up. Care must be taken because this can generate some wicked-hot steam coming off the damp cloth...wear a grill glove while wiping. If you stay on top of this and don't let it get too bad, you don't need a cleanser.

Thanks guys. I love my Performer and I know if I take care of her she'll take good care of me.

I wash my WSM down while it's still hot with with Dawn, hot water, and a dish cloth. Then I "polish it with a slightly damp cloth. If I need to scrub I use a nylon pad...same hot water with Dawn.

I'm in the 0000 steel wool group- I own a 2003 18.5 and can make it look like new with just a little elbow grease.

I'm in the George Curtis camp using awesome orange from the dollar store for light degreasing and smoke removal on my kettles. No need for a harsh abrasive on a vent in this condition.

I use car cleaning towels ( blue in color) while kettle is hot but wear gloves gets hot quickly. You can purchase at the Home Depot I think 10 towels for 4 bucks works well. Also , you can wash the towels too. Have same pack for over a year.

I've found plain old white vinegar to be a handy all-purpose cleaner for my grills & smokers. That brown stuff is equivalent to "seasoning" in a carbon steel or cast iron pan, and vinegar will usually take care of that with just a spritz, couple minute soak and a wipe. I keep a spray bottle of it on hand and spray down the vents on my performer or WSM usually while they're cooling down from a cook. If there's stubborn stuff, a green scotch-brite pad comes into play.

Back