Hanging meat in the WSM

Cool video. I saw that earlier today. I'm a fan of that guys videos. I've got the rack. I may need to get some of those hooks.

I have been interested in the Weber expandable rack for my 18.5" WSM. WEBER is showing them out of stock as is Home Depot and Lowes as well as Amazon.

i hope it's just a seasonable thing?

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have been interested in the Weber expandable rack for my 18.5" WSM. WEBER is showing them out of stock as is Home Depot and Lowes as well as Amazon.

i hope it's just a seasonable thing?

Keep on smokin',

I just purchased mine a couple of weeks ago from Target. They only had 7 at the time, 2 last week, and now they are out of stock. They were the last reputable retailer I could find that had them in stock

i'm confused.
in the video, he states "no tools" needed.
in my opinion, the Weber hanging system IS a tool.
if you do not have it, you need to purchase it.

w.e.

That looks really cool, what other meats can you use that with? (No interest in fish)
I smoke sausages with mine (link). Basically, anything that is solid (ie not hamburger) can be hung. You have no interest in fish but it can also be hung (skin on otherwise it'll be like burger).

I ended up at Cabelas "online, ship to store", ordered and am waiting for my call to pick it up.

Keep on smokin',

All over that hangin' thang!

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

just picked up another Weber hanging rack on closeout at the local ACE - $9.99!!

Brian;
:mad::mad::mad:I just paid $30.00 for mine "shipped to store" at Cabelas. This was for my 18.5" WSM. I'm lookin' forward to trying mine out. (Just kidding, Brian, happy for you that you got such a deal).

Has anyone here used the expandable hanging rack with an 18.5"?
I haven't measured a full slab of ribs against the room available in the 18.5".

I'm about to get excited about the possibilities of the rack. Apparently, I'm going to have to buy some hooks from the Pit Barrel People for ribs.

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:

This past weekend, I tried full spares on the 18.5" hanging rack without the water bowl. If you're using a fully loaded charcoal ring, the bottom of the ribs will most likely touch the coals. There are a few things I'm going to try next time to avoid touching:
-Use short hooks
-Hang from the 3rd rib
-Use less charcoal (it was only a 3-3.5 hour cook @300)
-Possibly cut them in half

William M;
Thanks for the response. I have hooks ordered from the Pit Barrel Cooker people. The only complaint I have is that you have to buy EIGHT hooks? I only have use for four, but they wouldn't consider selling just four (shipping is included). So, I bit the bullet and ordered the hooks and the hook tool. I picked up a package of St. Louis cut ribs at Costco today. Hopefully, the hooks will get here in the next few days. We have a warm spell coming in a few days and if I get lucky, the hooks will get here in time so I am not freezing while smoking.

If necessary, I'll shorten the ribs or hang from the third bone, too. I am really looking forward to this. If I have to cut the ribs in half, then the extra hooks will come in handy.

I also picked up a package of trout from Costco (they are ready to smoke). They are complete fish, just been gutted. They should be perfect for smoking with the Weber fish hooks.

Report to follow...

Keep on smokin',

I sure got good service from PBC. The hooks arrived today! Now THAT is excellent service.

After examination of the hooks I'm glad I got them. They are extremely well made and SS. However, it would be easy and cost effective to make my own hook remover. I will NOT be sending mine back, but a section of old broom handle and a screw eye and you would be in business.

The weather report says it's going to be in the sixties this weekend. I plan to "Hang Ribs" this weekend. Report to follow...

Dale53

Last edited:
Brian;
:mad::mad::mad:I just paid $30.00 for mine "shipped to store" at Cabelas. This was for my 18.5" WSM. I'm lookin' forward to trying mine out. (Just kidding, Brian, happy for you that you got such a deal).

I'm about to get excited about the possibilities of the rack. Apparently, I'm going to have to buy some hooks from the Pit Barrel People for ribs.

Keep on smokin',

Hi Dale

I'm searching cabelas can't find what you purchased...any item number? This would work well for my wsm have the Cajun bandit insert for 18.5 .Also how many racks can you hang?

Thanks
Paulie

Hi Dale

I'm searching cabelas can't find what you purchased...any item number? This would work well for my wsm have the Cajun bandit insert for 18.5 .Also how many racks can you hang?

Thanks
Paulie

Paulie;
Here it is:

WEBER EXPANDABLE SMOKE RACKSItem : IK - 551333MODEL:18.5"

Keep on smokin',

P.S. I couldn't find it in Cabelas just now. I have a suspicion that they are out. It is off season, now, and that may be the simple explanation. I suggest you call Weber on their toll free number and ask them when THEY will have them in stock. I have looked all over the web from all of the usual sources and no one seems to have them. I suspect my posting my source (with just a few left at Cabelas) has a few fellers and gals jump on it and now Cabela may not have any left. rdm

Last edited:
Edit, please ignore this post, they just called and said they no longer have any in stock.

For those looking for the Weber rack #7472 to fit the 18.5" WSM the only place I could find one was
Firecraft
I just ordered one, $38 with shipping.
Will post if/when it actually ships.

I'm sure the PBC hooks are nice, but I don't see me paying an additional $25 for my setup.

Last edited:

Back