Maverick and Auber Temp diff

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I have had my WSM for over a year now. i purchased a Maverick 733 and have been using it to monitor the pit and meat temps of my WSM. Fast forward to Christmas I received an Auber. I use it to control the temp while the Maverick provides remote monitoring. Good deal.

When i first used the Auber on Christmas I noticed there was a 10° diff between the Maverick and the Auber. No big deal. After the short cook was over, Prime Rib, I tested both Maverick probes and the Auber probes in boiling water. Using the Aubers input offset feature i had all of the probes within a degree or two of each other.

Last night I put on 2 butts and set the Auber for 235. The Maverick was within around 5 degrees of the Auber. This morning the range has changed. The Auber is at 245, I bumped it up, and the Maverick is reading 225. Thats a 20° diff and about a 15° shift.
Are my Maverick probes going out? Is my Auber wonky? Dont worry about it?

The only way to tell for sure is another calibration test with something of a known temp - like the boiling water again.

Are you measuring the exact same spot?

After the cook I tested both sets of probes with boiling water, comparing to a quick read thermo. All three were within a degree of 212 after adjusting the input offset on the Auber. During the cook I saw 30° swings in one of the devices.

Would anyone have an idea why they would start out in the same range, then about 6 hours later have the Maverick read 15° cooler than the Auber only to have the Auber read 15° less than the Maverick a few hours later? The temps were around freezing overnight with little to no wind. Fresh batteries in the Maverick.

I also have a 733 and the auber and notice the same thing, though I need to adjust the auber's input offset. How close are the probes inside the WSM?

The 733 probe is between the meat and the edge of the water pan. The auber probe is clipped to the 733 probe. I am starting to believe this is not an issue. When the auber blows in cold air every so often the probes act at different rates. The Maverick probes are still showing the temp for the colder air blown in and by the time they react to the pit, more cold air is blown in. The auber probes react quicker showing the true pit temp. That's my theory anyway.

The 733 probe is between the meat and the edge of the water pan. The auber probe is clipped to the 733 probe. I am starting to believe this is not an issue. When the auber blows in cold air every so often the probes act at different rates. The Maverick probes are still showing the temp for the colder air blown in and by the time they react to the pit, more cold air is blown in. The auber probes react quicker showing the true pit temp. That's my theory anyway.

If I remember how my Maverick works, there is a red flashing light that probably matches when the display reading gets updated and there is a long-ish interval for the update.

Hi Which Auber do you guys have and what size fan? How is working out? Thinking of getting one for my 22" WSM and maybe using it on my RF offset.
Thanks Dan

Changed the batteries lately? One might be on "the way out". I found my 732 was giving erratic readings till I put new batt's in-->solved that issue :)

Figured it out. I know what is happening but not why.
Saturday I was doing a brisket flat. Same thing was happening, The auber was showing 20degrees higher than the maverick. This is after doing the boiling water test, verifying they are calibrated properly. I had the auber probe clipped directly to the maverick pit probe. On a whim I unclipped the auber probe and clipped it directly to the grate. They both started registering within a degree or two of each other.
The only thing I can think of is clipping the auber probe to the maverick probe was causing some sort of ground loop throwing off the auber probe.
From here on out, I'll be clipping the auber probe to the grate.

Hi Which Auber do you guys have and what size fan? How is working out? Thinking of getting one for my 22" WSM and maybe using it on my RF offset.
Thanks Dan

I used the 10CFM fan on my 22, It would whip the smoker up to temp quite fast, and it would only "puff" once it was up to temp, unless the weather is not so nice, then it runs more. The 10 might be over kill for nicer climates, or summer weather. I have a 15 cfu fan with my HeaterMeter now, and that really is overkill. However the HM will run the fan at lower speeds, where the Auber is just an On/off fan control.

I used the 10CFM fan on my 22, It would whip the smoker up to temp quite fast, and it would only "puff" once it was up to temp, unless the weather is not so nice, then it runs more. The 10 might be over kill for nicer climates, or summer weather. I have a 15 cfu fan with my HeaterMeter now, and that really is overkill. However the HM will run the fan at lower speeds, where the Auber is just an On/off fan control.

Hi How does the HM compare to the Auber..I'm stuck between the HM, Auber, and a DigiQ DX 2..Don't really know which way to go..This is for a WSM 22'.
The HM sounds sooo complicated?
Thanks Dan
PS Also might use the ATC on my 24 x 36 Shirley stick burner

Last edited:
Hi How does the HM compare to the Auber..I'm stuck between the HM, Auber, and a DigiQ DX 2..Don't really know which way to go..This is for a WSM 22'.
The HM sounds sooo complicated?
Thanks Dan
PS Also might use the ATC on my 24 x 36 Shirley stick burner
Between the HM and the Auber, the HM wins hands down. Yeah, it is more complicated as you have to build it, but people on this forum will sell you one built and tested. You need to fart around getting it to connect to the internet to fully realize its potential, but if you can set-up a router, you can handle this. The support group on here is awesome!
I don't have, nor have ever used a DigiQ, so I can only comment on what I read on the web and you would have to jump up to the Cyber Q to get the wifi. They also only have 1 food probe. And their fans are stupid expensive ( but now on sale for a better price.)

Between the HM and the Auber, the HM wins hands down. Yeah, it is more complicated as you have to build it, but people on this forum will sell you one built and tested. You need to fart around getting it to connect to the internet to fully realize its potential, but if you can set-up a router, you can handle this. The support group on here is awesome!
I don't have, nor have ever used a DigiQ, so I can only comment on what I read on the web and you would have to jump up to the Cyber Q to get the wifi. They also only have 1 food probe. And their fans are stupid expensive ( but now on sale for a better price.)

Hi I have a Verizon router for Fios TV, telephone , and internet..They setup the router. I would want a ATC more for maintaining temps. I've been getting some quotes on here for a fully built HM.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I tested for a bad probe on my BBQ Guru by baking a potato and sticking in the food probes for the Guru and my Maverick. Did the same with the pit probes at the same time. All but the bad Guru pit probe matched very closely.

Back