The Year Old Brisket: The Effects of Prolonged Wet-Aging

I only tried wet aging a brisket once and it was a 50$ prime brisket. Spent a month and in the bottom drawer of the beer fridge.
I knew something was up when the cryovac was bulging with air, opened it and proceeded to gag.( must of had a pinhole leak)
Tossed that puppy in the trash.

Tim

I left a couple butts out after defrosting the freezer...wondered for a week or so where that smell was coming from...

I would have eaten some lean, but one look at that fat and Nope!

It does let me know that I don't have to be so quick to throw one in the freezer if the smoke gets put off due to rains or the like.

Glad to see the reference to the enzematic action of the calpains. Reminds one of a certain class a couple years ago... ;)

Do agree with the fat issue....

I've done 4 months past the use by date on a vac sealed flat from BJ's. Let me tell you it tasted fine. Mr. Kruger and I emailed back and forth about wether it would be good or not before opening the cryo vac. We both agreed that it should be ok. Just remember one thing, your nose will tell you if it is good or not. When I opened it, and smelled it, it smelled just fine. Now mind you it was kept in my beer fridge which runs between 30-32 degrees. I have one in the fridge as I type this that is 1.5 months past the use by date. :p

Last edited:

Back