R.I.P. - 12+ Year old BBQ Guru Competitior

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
It feels like I'm losing an old friend...been using my trusty old BBQ Guru Competitior now since sometime in 2004 when I decided I wasn't willing to stay up on overnight cooks and check the vents every hour or two and I wasn't good enough to dial it in just right with out it... (and at the time was smoking on a wooden deck on the 2nd floor of a condo).

It could be just the probe wires (which I'm already on my 2nd set) but power is funky, fan is funky, and just can't trust it any more... I think it's time to put her out of her misery..

Goodbye old friend... I think a new BBQGuru DigiQ will be at my door in short order (unless I talk myself into the CyberQ).

PZ5ESHs.jpg

I just got a DigiQ a couple of months ago...great purchase. Every time I use it I want to slap my forehead and yell DOH! for not getting it sooner.

So, which museum will you be donating this to?

I'm leaning towards CyberQ... I don't normally leave while I do my smokes (generally overnight pork shoulders), but I have been known to setup a webcam pointed at the Guru so I can check the temp while inside at night. I'm kind of tech nerd, so being able to check and adjust the temps on my phone kind of appeals to me and eliminates the need for the WebCam.

I've literally used the Guru for every smoke long/short that I've done in the past 12 years. I doubt that I'd even be able to run the smoker without (not to mention that 2/3 lower vents are taped closed).

I have the DigiQ and love it. For me I just thought the CyberQ was a bit more than I needed for my applications.

Wade, that Guru looks in great shape. My glow in the dark greenish one is all wore off and faded, mine is going on 15 years old, and still works great. As mentioned contact the Guru folks, bet they can/will give you a good deal on a new one.

Back