My #1 Whiskey Rib Sauce

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I found this in "Allrecipes" the other day. Not a fan of liquid smoke but as I'm doing ribs in the oven :mad: (I generally don't smoke in the cold), I needed the smoke.

It should rest a day or two to mingle (it's a little tangy straight out of the pot ;) ) but it is still really really good.

One man's opinion but if my wife likes it, it must be good ;)
Whiskey BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

• 1/2 onion, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup rye whiskey
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1T molasses

• 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste (I used 1T Franks Red Hot)
Directions

• In a medium size pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
  • Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer (I used a blender) if you prefer a smooth sauce.

NOTES: original recipe calls for bourbon (which I abhor). I used rye whiskey (Canadian Club). You could also use a dark rum (like Black Seal). It doesn't have to be an expensive brand as it will blend with the spices. I also added a tablespoon of molasses.

This makes enough to exactly fill a 3 litre (lb?) ketchup bottle--the big one (I soaked the label off so can't check) after the requisite reduction. Less than 1" from the top so I was pleased. Let it sit a day or two in the fridge to blend the flavours.

Gotta give credit where credit is due: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16115/bourbon-whiskey-bbq-sauce/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=16

Last edited:
Are the minced onions fresh or out of a spice container? Sounds like a real nice rub Len

I only use fresh for sauces. Using the blender at the end finishes the job. Maybe a 60 second puree setting. I hate throwing out veggies if I don't have to.

Last edited:
This sounds really good Len. Already printed the recipe to try this. About how long does this last in the fridge? TIA

Didn't say Bob but with a third of cup of vinegar In it (the alcohol in the booze evaporates during the slow cook so no help there), I'd gve it a month or three (but after having some on my italian sausage at lunch, I'd say you won't have to worry about longevity ;)

Going on my "oven" ribs as I type :)

Last edited:

Back