Pork Butt and Brisket Point Cook Times?

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
On Saturday I will be cooking a 9# pork butt along with a 2# and 3.5# brisket points. Serving time will be around 7 PM on Saturday evening so i would target around 4 PM for everything to be finished. I am assuming around 12-14 hours for the brisket but am not sure about the time for the brisket points (burnt ends). If I start the pork butt around 3 AM, when would you suggest putting the brisket points on, would around 5 hours be long enough?

Call me crazy (or lazy), but I put all the meat on at the same time (within 5 mins from first to last piece). I smoke on the low side of 225F and 99% of the time my meat is done faster than 1 hr per pound.

Right of wrong, I always separate the brisket flats from the points. Since they finish at different temps I regard them as being 2 different meats.

One time I had a butt stall (and actually went down in temp) for more than 3 hours. Not a good feeling. I've experimented some since then. Instead of (double) foiling at 160F I foil between 147 and 149F. I also add 1/4 C Apple Juice in the "boat", but I warm it up to the same temp as the meat (usually 150F) before pouring it into the foil and sealing. Cold AJ will drop the temp of the meat. I don't ever notice if a stall occurs or not.

OOPS! I just realized that you are probably eating right about now so this information is a bit late. I apologize. Maybe it'll help some on your next smoke.

Back