Hobbies? Besides Weber of course.

JRicks

TVWBB Member
What is every one elses hobbies beside's Weber and grilling, smoking etc. Personally when the rain season hits and the grills are in hibernation, I tie fly's. Don't fish, but like to tie fly's. I like going to the pacific coast and go crabbing. Mmmmm, Crab. Any one else. It is a given that we all tend to work and families, but... There seems to be seasons of all of these things too where I get obsessed with them.

Like you, I also enjoy tying flies.
Desk-L.jpg

My wife and I REALLY like to fly fish......
Montana%202008%201%20033-L.jpg

Yep, she's much better at it than I am. Yep, I'm pretty lucky. :)

I also enjoy non-weber cooking. And winemaking. With two young boys at home, that's more than I have time for. :p

My main hobby is model railroading, When Barb and I downsized to a smaller home the large layout we had at our previous home was way to big for the spare bedroom I staked out for my new one.
I built a small switching layout and now we've decided to expanded it.
Barb does the background paintings and builds the buildings and does some of the scenery work so it's a hobby we both enjoy.
Here's a few pictures of what we started doing this week. I also built a work bench in the closet as it's to cold in the garage for me.
Barb and I also fly fish up in the high sierras by Bishop California and I've dabbled with tying flys.
DSCN5380_zpschjz0emq.jpg

DSCN5379_zpssj84dovc.jpg

DSCN5385_zpsxbblmmgq.jpg

My main hobby is model railroading

Brings back memories of my dad, Rich. He enjoyed building all of the locomotives, various cars, and layouts. Born in Altoona near the Horseshoe Curve, he had an affinity for the steam locomotives of the old Pennsylvania Railroad. I keep one of his locomotives at my desk:

31841871653_d277cd7df0_k.jpg

My wife says I have too many hobbies....I reminder her that none of them are a boat or a plane! :) I cook, bake bread, make beer, fly drones, cycle, etc, etc......sometimes, I even find time to be a dad! ;) (I'm actually lucky to have my kids participate in a few of my hobbies with me)

Rich

Golf, tennis and shooting. I used to race many different types of radio controlled cars, both off-road and on road. When I gave that up I flew radio controlled planes. When my daughter was born I gave up the RC hobby. She is already hitting the tennis ball with me and today I bought her her first BB gun so we are going to have some backyard range time this weekend.

Rich i recall seeing photos of your "hobby" and they were amazing!

My main hobby is model railroading, When Barb and I downsized to a smaller home the large layout we had at our previous home was way to big for the spare bedroom I staked out for my new one.
I built a small switching layout and now we've decided to expanded it.
Barb does the background paintings and builds the buildings and does some of the scenery work so it's a hobby we both enjoy.
Here's a few pictures of what we started doing this week. I also built a work bench in the closet as it's to cold in the garage for me.
Barb and I also fly fish up in the high sierras by Bishop California and I've dabbled with tying flys.
DSCN5380_zpschjz0emq.jpg

DSCN5379_zpssj84dovc.jpg

DSCN5385_zpsxbblmmgq.jpg

I have more hobbies than I should mention, but I've been strength training lately (last 3.5 months)....... I spent a good part of last year injured (mostly functioning but somewhat hindered). I'm finally better it seems but I'm having a hard time kicking it back in gear.

Chess - played ~20 years very infrequently, more 3 years ago, and a whole lot last year.
Dirt bikes (mostly singletrack), hiking, used to run, haven't been out on my road bicycle in a few months......
RC cars & cheap quads (started building a 450mm sized one butttttt), billiards! I like electronics and welding, brewing & drinking beer (haven't been drinking much lately). I like making things that suit my needs, both for $$ and for fun. I like to ski at the resorts (have a pass @ Brighton this year but it seems a little small) and backcountry (haven't been out at all this year). Reading: I've only read tech & cook books for the last 20 years, until I broke out Tom Sawyer a month ago....maybe I'll get more into fiction. Friends are into mining so I tag along, same with fishing (I used to go every weekend but I never got good).

Last edited:
Fishing, cooking in general, going out with friends and having a couple of drinks, photography, sausage and bacon making, reading, playing with the dogs
And these days I am trying my hands on making bread (sourdough) and fermented products like sauerkraut, pickles etc

NRA shotgun and pistol Instructor. I'm the coach of the Youth Shotgun League at my gun club and instruct brand new lady shooters on our monthly Ladies Night. I occasionally even get to shoot myself! I also like to ride by Suzuki Burgman 650 and lastly, I'm a KCBS Contest Representative and CBJ.

Besides grilling, I enjoy fly fishing, hunting, camping, pickin' & grinnin' with the boy and hanging out with the dog. :)

k8EpNVV.jpg
[/IMG]

VxrPAc8.jpg
[/IMG]

The Army base where I was stationed had a Sport Parachute Club and I got hooked on Sky Diving. I continued with this for many years, primarily with the now defunct Calistoga Skydivers. I also roamed around to drop zones in other parts of the state and finally ending up at Skydance Skydiving near Winters, CA. While jumping with the Calistoga Skydivers, our 10 Man Star team competed in the US Championship Star Competition in Elsinore Ca. Finally settled down and fell in love with Pigeon Racing. Competed in this sport for a number of years both with the SOC Pigeon Club in Sonoma County and later in the Redding Racing Pigeon Club. My wife and I are now members of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and are avid theater goers. We vacation each year in beautiful Southern Oregon and take in the plays, hike and enjoy the wonderful restaurants in Ashland. However, the common denominator spanning all three of these hobbies has been grilling and bbqing, mostly on Weber Grills and Smokers.

Last edited:
I like to play golf and just the last few years started making stuff out of wood. Just made my son a full size bed and currently sell cedar planters.

Green with envy. Do you see any wrecks on there??? I am out here on the West coast and we have fun roads, but not like that!

Back