Help choosing size

Craig Lusco

Hi all, I've read these forums for the last year, and have been reading a lot about the WSM cookers over that time.
I'm definitely getting one in the coming weeks, but just can't decide on size. I also have a 13 year old Genesis Gold for daily grilling and 2 kettles I use frequently- 22 inch performer and a smokey joe. So I have plenty of capacity for doing things.
So- I basically want the WSM for two things- Ribs and pulled pork (Butt). Also a few times a year I'd do wings.
I could see myself using it for a chicken or sausages once in a while, but I usually do them on the 22.

When I do a Butt- it would most likely just be 1- maybe 2 once a year for a party.
Ribs would be 3 slabs- that's it.
If I've read everything correctly- I would be fine with the 14 for my uses.

Do I understand correctly that the 14 would still be able to run overnight without adding any charcoal? That's my concern, I'd start a butt at night- then let it cook overnight. Most things I've seen posted are people doing that with 18 or 22's (Which hold a lot more charcoal). SO I guess another way to phrase it would be - does that smaller coal bin in the 14, still cook for the same amount of time as the larger ones do, being that it is heating a smaller amount of air space?

also- since I realize for ribs, I'd have to either roll them or cut the racks in half- is their any actual downside- cooking wise to doing either of these things?

I could buy either of the bigger ones- but it would use a lot more charcoal, and I'd have a lot of wasted space- But- if they do cook better, that's a different situation.

Thanks for the input.

For me the 14.5 has plenty of room. You can do overnight cooks with it, the longest I have gone is about 10 hours. I cut the ribs in half, do not see any difference doing them that way.

Craig, I would go with the 18. From the description of your future cooks it may seem that the 14 would be plenty and it very well might be. However, it's always nice to have a little more room.
I have heard a general rule when it comes to the size of BBQ pits. Figure out what size you need then get the next biggest size. In doing BBQ competitions for 11 years, and being involved
with BBQ for nearly 15, I've never heard anyone say they wished they would have bought a smaller pit. GOOD LUCK with your new cooker.

I have all three sizes and the 14 gets the most use by far of my WSMs. I've gone 9 hours on a full load and had coals left over. If you move the internal heat shield to the outside you should be able to go longer as the is more room for the ash build up.

Craig - my fellow York, Pa WSM enthusiast!! I have both the 18 and and 14.5 and based on your needs and what you outlined I would go with the WSM 18. I have gone 13-14 hours on coals in my 18 and plenty of room for full rack ribs, nice size brisket and butts... Then keep your eye out for the 14.5 at Walmart on clearance at end of season etc... guys have scored some for $50-$99 so then you can have both - you can never have too many grills! Also as Dustin said above - move the heat shield to the outside, I did that also, and it gives you more room and longer cooks..

I have done 5 hours on the 14 wsm and still had more than half the charcoal left, so I figure you can do an overnight cook.
I have to admit that I probably would have bought the 18, if they were not that expensive aroung here (no discounts on the 14's either).

Very much on the plus side of the 14 for me, is the weight. It is light. Easy to move around. Eady to store.
I can see it coming with me on camping trips....

Craig- i own all 3 sizes, but unless I do a big cook for the family, the 14.5 gets the most use for my wife and I. If I were to do it again, I would stick with just the 14.5 and 18.5.

I have a 22. It lives up to its reputation as a fuel hog. Yeah, I can cook anything on it without slicing it up, but it's really large and takes a lot of charcoal. It's so big and so hungry I tend to be reluctant to fire it up.

For doing mostly one butt at a time, get a 14. I'm regretting not picking one up when I saw it at Walmart for $99. I might use it a bit more.

Well, I ended up getting the 18. Can't wait to get it put together. I'll watch the sales later to see if a 14 pops up cheap. Thanks for the thoughts.

I can get 11+ hrs out of my 14 using the minion method, only +/-10 lit briqs. But I have a custom charcoal basket, which the charcoal grate can just fit inside, & about 2 inches taller than the OEM basket, & no water pan. It's miserly on fuel consumption.

I can get 11+ hrs out of my 14 using the minion method, only +/-10 lit briqs. But I have a custom charcoal basket, which the charcoal grate can just fit inside, & about 2 inches taller than the OEM basket, & no water pan. It's miserly on fuel consumption.

Tony, where did you find the larger charcoal basket? I have the larger ones Cajun bandit makes for the 18 and the 22 but they don't make a larger capacity for the 14.

You can make your own charcoal ring out of expanded metal (don't use galvanized). Wire it together with rebar tie wire & then wire it to the charcoal grate.
Home depot has rather expensive small sizes of expanded metal. Or you can go to a scrap metal yard & look for remnants or salvage & it will be dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Watch Cabela's website towards the end of the year. At the end of 2016 they were selling the 18" for close to the price of a 14". Otherwise you might find deals around the summer holidays.

Well, I ended up getting the 18. Can't wait to get it put together. I'll watch the sales later to see if a 14 pops up cheap. Thanks for the thoughts.

I think you made the right choice. The 18" WSM is a great machine for doing overnight cooks. And, while you don't expect to do large cooks, you may want to do one every once in a while and with an 18 you can.

Back