Need some help with some help with a new fixer upper

RichFarren

Picked up this Genesis Silver for $20. Looks good with a few areas to address.

grill%201_zpsak9jw3am.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

grill%203_zpsp1dx8wqc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

grill%202_zpsoglsvptd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

grill%205_zps1pux31an.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This photo shows the bottom panel that is rusty badly. I know I can replace it for about $34 plus shipping. Are there any other go options other then the panel? I don't need the storage.

grill%204_zpsbr9vqsqm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The other area I have to address is rust on the frame where the cookbox bolt connects to the frame. Also the bolt snapped.I am going to work on the bolt after it sits overnight with some Buster on it. There is a little nub of the old bolt sticking out on both sides of the cookbox.

IMG_1189_zpsg7ivherq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1192_zps8wlhgziu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can I stabilize the rust on the frame and leave it as is or does it need more of a repair?

Outside of the frame rail
IMG_1187_zpswsapwvui.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

inside frame rail
IMG_1186_zpsh0xrgkow.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks, Rich

You can have a look at a company Eastwood.com they have chemicals that coat and turn the rust into some other material that becomes very hard. I have used it in automotive applications. They even sell a long hose with a spray nozzle on the end that is 360 degrees. The stuff works.
Don't pound on the bolt BTW or you will shatter the cast aluminum. This happened to me on an old Ducane (back when they were really good not made in China by Weber products). I was trying to center punch a screw and I shattered a bit of the casting.
You could add some metal to reinforce the area and then use a stainless steel carriage bolt. Also use some never seize and you'll never need to worry about it again. Another word of advice. If you remove the burners they slide out to the right they do not "lift" out. You'll see inside on the left side of the fire box 2 screws that appear to hold the burners down. DO NOT REMOVE THESE or attempt to. You'll only open up a hornets nest of issues.
As for the bottom hard to tell. You may be able to salvage it but if you can get a new piece cheap grab it. I would then do rust treatment with those chemicals from Eastwood

Back