Cleaning/repairing our new/used Summit E-450

DavidRB

We just picked up a used Weber (2009) Summit E-450 Copper grill for our lake home. It is really in good shape, and fortunately the cook box has no rust. It came with two boxes of extra accessories, a new cover, cleaner, cook books, etc. Got it for $100. I've been cleaning it up, and it will look like new. The thermometer needs to be replaced as it reads 700 degrees in my shop. My nephews picked it up for me and they didn't take the knobs off for trailering, so I need one new knob. The only other thing is the pop up rotisserie door on the left side work table...it won't stay down! I assume I am missing a part, but I can't for the life of me find a picture of how that latch works. Anyone have any info/ideas?
I doubt we will use the rotisserie much (we rarely use it on our Special Edition Genesis at our main home) so even if I just have to wire it shut I will, but I prefer to make things work how they should.
Thanks for the help!

Oh, and I was able to find replacement cook boxes online...I know that is the achilles heel of the Summits. Thinking I might just get one as a spare since it seems like such a nice grill, and I have so little in it $$.

For your model the cook box is easy to find (maybe even free if you speak to Weber). Heck mine was SUPPOSED to be free only Weber left me high and dry by not making the part any more. Lost pretty much all my faith in them after that. Most likely (especially now with them mostly being Chinese) will never buy another one (new anyway). Still like the old ones though

Honestly I have no clue. Some on here have had tremendous luck others (like me) left in the lurch. Me? As much as I love using my 3 Weber gas units (Genesis III, Summit 450 old style, and Q220 red head) I won't ever again spend hard earned $$$ on a new one considering how badly they left me hanging and how (IMO) cheapskate they've become what with all Chinese stuff and prices that don't make sense.
So if your fire box is bad try them. It's all I can say

I stopped by Steins and looked at their grills. Found one with the flip up rotisserie door, and it appears I am missing a little plastic latch. Of course Weber doesn't sell just that part, you have to buy the entire side table at $175. Nice.
I asked about the cook box replacement and he said to send a picture. Not a very nice gentleman...sounded kinda ****y.
I'll see if I can get a picture to convince him I need a new one...

Ha! Found the missing latch for the rotisserie door! It was actually in one of the boxes with all of the accessories!

I have 4 holes from rust in the cook box. It is usable and will likely last for some time, but if it is still under warranty, and I do meet the criteria, it makes sense to replace it.

I'd simply register the grill and see what happens. Worst is they turn you down. Just don't let on you're not original owner

I'd do like Lmichaels said, register it on their site (assuming you can read the serial number) and hope that the previous owner hadn't. The warranty only applies to the original owner, but it is worth a shot. I have yet to see a used Summit for sale where the firebox was not rusted through. I patched mine with a sheet of 304 stainless steel that was formerly the front panel of a GE dishwasher. I cut and drilled it and pop-riveted it over the rusty steel part.

Back