Hatch Green Chile sauce

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
https://youtu.be/tnp0rKtmOAg

I saw this video & had to make it. I've made it twice almost exactly like he did, but I used 8-10 jalapenos, 2 habaneros, and added a splach (1 tsp?) of ACV at the end. I'm not sure if he uses lime at the end, but last time I made it (few days ago) I thought lime would be a good addition. It made 32oz the first time, maybe 28oz the 2nd time. I might've added a pasilla pepper for the first batch, but just jalapenos & habs for the 2nd.

"This Hatch Green Chili Sauce goes well with enchiladas, burritos and just about anything you would use regular hot sauce on, especially Mexican food. This hot sauce can pack as much or as little heat as you desire. The Hatch Chile peppers used in this recipe were about medium in heat, so I did add the habanero peppers to pump up the heat a little bit. The habanero and jalapeno peppers not only add to the heat, but do add to the flavor as well. If you are looking for a clean hot sauce that isn't dominated by a lot of spices, you need to give this a try."

Yum.

Anything with Hatch chiles, red or green, or both is a thumbs up for me!
:D

I was surprised how easy & how good it was. I like a lot of heat, but for those that don't, that's where tomatillos come into play I think. I want to try some red sauces next, some fresh, some with dried red peppers.....

I forgot to mention, both times I made it I added 1 chopped onion (everything boiled for around 20 min) and didn't strain (no need).

((((((but this vid was the inspiration! :) )))))))

I was surprised how easy & how good it was. I like a lot of heat, but for those that don't, that's where tomatillos come into play I think. I want to try some red sauces next, some fresh, some with dried red peppers.....

I forgot to mention, both times I made it I added 1 chopped onion (everything boiled for around 20 min) and didn't strain (no need).

((((((but this vid was the inspiration! :) )))))))

My parents live in Santa Fe, so I get Hatch 'care packages' from them.

I make my own red sauce from a variety of red chiles unique to NM when I make enchiladas, pork stew, or a pot of "chili".

This summer a grocery store near me had big baskets of the chiles for sale for 2-3 weeks, and a big roaster outside if you wanted them roasted. I hope they do that again this year.

What a simple recipe! I like it.

I'd change the iodized salt to sea salt (non-iodized and no caking agents). Also, beware that since there are no preservatives, make sure you refrigerate it and note that you really need to pay attention to storage--maybe two weeks? I would think it might freeze well too.

What a simple recipe! I like it.

I'd change the iodized salt to sea salt (non-iodized and no caking agents). Also, beware that since there are no preservatives, make sure you refrigerate it and note that you really need to pay attention to storage--maybe two weeks? I would think it might freeze well too.

That hasn't been a problem so far..... it goes quickly.. I the small amount of vinegar might help, but I really didn't use much. I've kept it in the fridge, I don't think I'd trust it otherwise.

Back