Replacement grates?

steveD

TVWBB Fan
Where does everyone buy replacement grates for their 18" WSM's? I'm looking on Amazon and other various resources online, and it is proving difficult to find consistent reliable information - the product number listed on one page doesn't match what is listed for another, for example. The existing bottom grate is "smooth"/flat (i.e. No handles) and the top grate is solid (i.e. Not hinged) with handles. Based on the links on The Virtual Weber Bullet, the top grate appears to be flat (i.e. No handles) and the bottom grate is shown with handles. The bottom grate also seems to be very expensive for some reason ($22+).

The Weber 7432 Cooking Grate is the correct part for the 18.5" WSM top cooking grate; the Amazon photo is wrong. You can find this replacement grate at many hardware stores and home centers, as it's the same as in any 18.5" Weber kettle.

The stainless steel top cooking grate from TVWBB member David Somerville is sweet and should last a long, long time.

The old 18.5" bottom cooking grate without handles is very expensive but available by special order from Weber at 800-446-1071. The Weber 85042 Cooking Grate is the bottom grate with handles found on more recent WSM and should fit fine in any WSM old or new.

The old bottom grate is just a plated version of the 22.5" kettle charcoal grate. You could save some money and just buy a new one from HD and keep it oiled ( I did ).
Or buy another top grate with handles for the 18.5" kettle from HD and use that as a bottom, it's slightly larger in diameter by a 1/2" so it will sit up on the bolts instead of the straps ( no biggie).:)

Tim

I saw all those grates at Home Depot today. Looks like they have a lot of Weber parts.They also have an aftermarket brand much cheaper. They look good too

Last edited:
Looks like the 63013 Charcoal Grate is about $30 shipped. Wish there was a cheaper alternative

Last edited:
That grate at Home Depot is the Weber 7440 for the kettle. It's too small for the WSM
It is but if the old grate isn't too far gone it can be wired to it and it becomes substantial again.
That's what I did, and wired mine at 90° to the old one so that if using lump the small pieces don't easily fall through.

It is but if the old grate isn't too far gone it can be wired to it and it becomes substantial again.
That's what I did, and wired mine at 90° to the old one so that if using lump the small pieces don't easily fall through.

I did the same thing too with the 7440 on top of and perpendicular to the original charcoal grate. Using Stubbs briqs, however, I felt the ash would build up and start to suffocate the fire on long cooks. Probably not an issue with lump

This is the latest that some are talking about. Although pricey, I will be getting one soon.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01N5A67BY/tvwb-20

You can read comments in the "sticky" section or here:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68...Top-Cooking-Grate-for-18-5-quot-Weber-Smokers

I ended up getting this one... it was waiting for me when I got home from work last night. I'll be using it for the first time this weekend. When I told my wife I had spent more $$$ on a heavier duty SS grate, I expected to hear her complain since I haven't even used the smoker yet. Instead, her response was positive saying that the grate that came with it looked really flimsy, like it would bend if I put a large piece of meat in the center of it. I opened the new grate this morning and I am quite impressed. VERY sturdy feel to it, nice and heavy, and even without the other grate next to it for comparison it is obvious that the bars are much heavier duty. I'm quite happy with the decision to spend the extra $$$ already.

Back