New (to me) Genesis Silver B

MilesVDustin

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone! My name is Dustin and i am from Southern Illinois. I recently scored a new grill, the Genesis Silver B. It is a natural gas model, And I want to run it on propane. My limited research says i need to get part number 60141 to get the new valves and orifices. I found it online for about 100 bucks. Grill needs grates and flavorizer bars as well. This one has the center thermometer on the lid.

Grill was free, i found it by the dumpster. In good shape, just needs those parts and a cleaning. Am I on the right track with this? My other grill is a big green egg and i want something a little more convenient.

You're on the right track. But, check flea bay for that manifold you may save quite a few $$$$ or watch craigslist for someone dumping a propane version for free or cheap. I see them as little as $20. Fot that you'd get a host of spare parts and a manifold plus the scale and such

Miles, I might have an extra laying around. Let me look in my parts bin later and I'll let you know. As I recall it has the old quick connect on the regulator, probably have to replace that. I'll check it and get back to you this weekend.

Pat G, if you do have it i am all over it. I am headed to go get the grill now. My boss got a new house and decided he didnt want this beauty from the backyard. He set it by the dumpster at work and i rolled it around back yesterday.

Congratulations on your find. I think you will love the grill. I have 2 older similar webers that I have restored and I wouldn't trade for anything.

Regarding grates and flavorizers my suggestion is to go with quality stainless steel for both. It lasts a long time and needs very little maintenance. The best ones for both are made by rcplanerbuyer on eBay. His are said to last a lifetime.

Miles it appears to be correct. The "issue" would be the space between the valves as the older style Genesis manifolds are slightly different but look identical at a glance. I would check with the seller re the model it came from. If he says Genesis I, II, or III or 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. it will not fit. If he says B, or C, or Gold, Silver etc. it should fit just fine

Miles it appears to be correct. The "issue" would be the space between the valves as the older style Genesis manifolds are slightly different but look identical at a glance. I would check with the seller re the model it came from. If he says Genesis I, II, or III or 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. it will not fit. If he says B, or C, or Gold, Silver etc. it should fit just fine

Good point.

The one I have came off of a 5000. Sorry that I couldn't help you Miles.

My model number is 6321411 and the manifold has 0429042 on it. It does have 270 degree turn valves. Would proper orifice size and a regulator make this thing work?

Answer to your first question. No the valves are not interchangeable. I think the orifices are BUT the valves from a NG model are different from an LP model. You could try the different orifices though. Worst case is the grill will run a bit hotter on low/medium than it should. Not horrible mind you. It may actually work fine for your needs

I think i found someone wanting to do the swap with me. If he sends me the valves with orifices, they should attach to my manifold, right?

The orifices on my valves have a 7mm hex head and the threads are 1/4" OD. The numbers on the valve body are HN0031/33 on the body, the brass stem where the knob attaches says 79228 and 21803.

Rolling out all these numbers are not really getting anywhere. Bottom line you need a different manifold plus a hose and regulator to convert the grill to LP. Like I said you MAY be able to simply swap orifices but the valves are different and you may/may not like the result due to lack of control on low/medium heat. Seriously I would not try just swapping valves. Unless you're used to playing with gas you can get into trouble.
Those grills you have are VERY common and were most common in LP versions. Seriously if you watch CL or FleaBay I can't see why you may not be able to find an entire grill on say CL for less than $50. You may need to look in adjoining communities but it should be VERY easy to find one

I'm going to second LMichaels' suggestion, and add that with a second grill, you will have double all parts, so as you rehab one you have another to cannibalize. I made some mistakes during my rehabs, and it would have been terrific to have had another whole grill to source parts from.

Agree with LMichaels and THyde, those grills are everywhere and probably 90% or more were LP. It will be worth the wait to get a second grill and there is a demand for NG parts, so you should be able to recover the cost of a LP grill for parts by selling your NG manifold and any spare parts you may end up with.
I know because I've restore/refurbed about 8 of the older 1000 and silvers and made a few bucks doing it. Never had a problem unloading the NG parts.
Go on to Craigslist and do a wanted ad under Weber for an LP silver, someone might see and figure hey I can unload my old Weber that's just not being used anymore.

Ill keep an eye out for parts, no rush on this as I have my charcoal grill. I will do a build thread when I start fixing her up.

Thank you for the advice everyone!

Got me some parts, new regulator is on order. I started soaking the big firebox bolt in PB Blaster. Going to let it soak for a week of twice a day sprays to give me the best chance of not breaking it. Full restoration is beginning this weekend!

Trying to decide on grates. I am getting the rcplanebuyer flavorizers, but i am tight on cash to spend that much on grates. Might have to just wait a while for those.

Back