Weber USA charcoal briquettes

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Another member posted about the new Weber charcoal at Lowes, one of my local stores finally got some in stock.
Not cheap at a dollar per pound (20 lb. bag) but not out of line for what I pay for what I consider quality lump charcoal.

AuLg0VHl_aDe3Le7UBoPpZUuiEg5v09wFz6h_nusVk8lBo_eZtYRyDahKOO3YgsH7JTUiZsMv1ik9jfAxfBEHbP6WqTC6ZYzXnBjgkgj34DD_SPwN7qtKFEcAFhpAnjWuJiYbaRADORxNhAFS2gzgOXozhzmiaRq9cTC8UOEMptAu1tpK5_KR9SjSxjcTr4R4GlbjnL4z1lQAO21eROEN6ZezQHRtaAVootepSThIT8B59UGUqYGVj4EOtWraCNkzl5B04Fwms4E-azJ2MFqJtE3TjtBaTCYvOyx6BaSK39nAUFcqmdJh3Pdhm9FYD29dBdro-4UtAij3_jJKvkoJSr7yBR6RrmbKx6H3f2LCGsUsuihPDSDSZKKQhDBIDaTUCvINVKKFrgKHwiYPiYbGjvwyR7UWrP1jmJPasL5GkkUBRsD8lPTCrKbSuY_Nq3SJ0Or5xc2yfBKZ5AS7HmjngKZjRv6vvncVHQ4Rtn2_jWf28NnI0WEZeLgrGhsMBDeO9qyRVGZULfAXQaCwr28orOc6z2elh8e9xy35UqK5lIzYlimqtOZF_LnbBLYvjIs6KRDZDuQscfRQHkTYxLU0_hfTMc7uU7VP4EJn2-GlHdlNkCbaQ=w672-h896-no

It comes in a resealable plastic bag.

tZ7GP_VI5v_Rsg3pEkGPU1pDDP-IbsFkRU3larKtMgA5n9WGh78RDONEMxNE3SF2LXFyQulqu_mZMwgeckFtkmboPkfGM-amwdyyYS3VwId2mVbP0WgdjlxwLlfWJo2rjNdfed-DuUBfI2Z1N4N8SEyt4T0I32OpUnxWRLzBemn_exuQXw1hkTFpkna_oDs4-H4ve7Ou5veUFSvFhoXXkfnWbhN2oYFHuYDI6CqZPDypRSfTZUU-NG_9V39DPPG4CSEp_UG-k8C3yLaPjTlqCqbhfRM6hhq2OayccFYYRmdQvdGxABJ7jLlU1Tx-2UJZza_NZ59o6_YAL_EhRBfb7lFh3xk0dM75cX1tnGTPWLMISsS7VWoZTRyPHnO3AJYfVedZAMqXppwAxYNxEBDZwIoC1gC6aYzo91UrRt88-j1kSeLGY6L5Vad6_wQxf2x8u7ThMM8mWNFYRvJ7jB2c3rItUmMs45eu5AR5ZCtZ69s5LPrInFJoADWU6KPs3rHYqkqPPidUWyufcTrW_srpXNrMlutd_7GjXRF6QQ2YPpFgiZ2O-zpf4waLsRkoOKhuJbHAJbMCsIS2QazDnyEby7y3z4PG0sk7u3UaCNO80IqinBdAGA=w1115-h836-no

The composition looks much like Stubb's, but the briqs are considerably larger.
Stubb's on the left.

zaHZZjOB2aAN9_lf0SGSpCnS2cXNZWfpwKfBjhUWAYDYAzrHbeWbqfgRKkphDIeilZxoyJkSriRpjlsoNaajaFg5jqsFMOKkH1hBDzWX_ZFOMuu7k3M5vBuvLYpI3xzCvvDN-JvHIJoKt2J35gZt33UFatfIPGhO4roe4ABg9GDA9wJvD82TY1IOxEK3lyY5BhpyuU3KZd4svxeb--reCjE6QlH8EJ8prnQIjNuDIQk9WISeFaaC2VdwNNNLIO6XvXSQnehzSZ7r6Mrnt0z9_BbeNYvK8myCzLTzE4xs8NzNrY4BLx4tga_G461yBEZs2UJ5u9rGEn4jbqfsaDu0JakYr9iPd5voiWd7QFv67GDB-c1-lNxmf2xxLssoleEYxIYYjKTa4Xi1ckX5AUDZmhaLc5DNpRptG_UTZARHEHCzaDOVZVMrsllA-d4vG6mD4fY-AFKKRJ8yrW3gJzTpbbrgHmiZks_ujfQjxYecBGAx5N_S3kidLwRqYeDPUVhX0bWMhAWw11JstGPYjc1XinNgL0XO5KQL_wHWcBhNNW-Lh1DBRn7555T4v2eWHkZKDrFOR4vcTRdQo31Vp-hjHEPcILJnOG1tA_a-EXL9YifCcR3ANQ=w643-h402-no

No cooks with it yet, maybe some baby backs for a trial run this weekend.
I'll post when I do.

Bob, please let us know what you think of the charcoal. At first glance, I really like the larger size of the briquettes. Hopefully it will result in a longer burn time per briquette. I received a cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas, and these might be just the ticket!!
Thanks,
Tim

I checked my local Lowes online, they say they have 19 bags in stock at $19.99 for a 20lb bag. I'll have to pick up a bag this weekend and give it a shot, looking forward in your results :).

I received a cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas, and these might be just the ticket!!
Thanks,
Tim
geez, Tim... you're gonna use the chem-free, extra $$ charcoal on a Dutch Oven cook?
Me?, i'd use the cheapest stuff available only because the quality of the coal does not affect the taste of the final product.
You're only using the coal for heat, not additional flavour.

but that's just me...

Yea, need to see a real test. Stuff has been sold in europe for a while and comments are not that good. Thats a god awefull price no matter what. And we still need to
know who is making it. If its bigger it almost looks like the stuff they sell at wm. Anyway, more info is definitely in order.
sorry, but I just cracked up at the sillines of the price no matter what it is.

The European stuff is different, or at least it has grooves and this doesn't.
This stuff does say made in the USA on the bag.

Doesn't change the fact that we need to know what some will pay 20 bucks for. I certainly will not until I find that its burn time, etc is twice that of other brands.

Ok. But still want to know who makes it and why it is so expensive. Not unreasonable to expect that I would think. Just me but I just can't get over that price. For sure I will never spend that much for charcoal no matter how good it is. This is my last say on this, thanks for the discussion !

I'm with George on this one. Too high priced. For that money, do yourself a big favor buy a bag a Jealous Devil Axe breaker. Its the best lump Charcoal I have ever bought.
It would probably price out a little cheaper than Weber Briquettes. It burns so, so long. For briquette lovers they do have briquettes too. And you also know where it comes from & where its made.
No guessing & wondering.
old grill goat in frozen southwest Colorado

Like I've already said, I think it's overpriced too, but I've blown a lot more money on lesser things than buying a $20 bag of charcoal to see how it cooks.
My guess is it will not sell well at that price when folks can look over and see nearly twice as much Kbb for the same price, and not even on sale.

My Home Depot had a pallet of it when I was there a few minutes ago.

For that money, do yourself a big favor buy a bag a Jealous Devil Axe breaker. Its the best lump Charcoal I have ever bought.
It would probably price out a little cheaper than Weber Briquettes. It burns so, so long. For briquette lovers they do have briquettes too.
Russ,
Best price I can find on JD is Amazon, $40 for 35 lbs with free Prime shipping.
I can get Rockwood for $18 for a 20 lb. bag, is it that much better?
Can't find JD briqs on the web.

Russ,
Best price I can find on JD is Amazon, $40 for 35 lbs with free Prime shipping.
I can get Rockwood for $18 for a 20 lb. bag, is it that much better?
Can't find JD briqs on the web.

Bob,
JD IMHO is better than Rockwood. JD is much more dense & harder wood. Rockwood is very neutral in smoke. Where as JD has much more flavor left in the wood itself. I use both charcoals and as you know I love both of them. But prefer JD.
One bag of JD for $40 in my humble opinion would last 3-4 bags of the Weber bags.
I wish that you would give JD a try, I would like to hear your opinion on it. After all in the end its fun to spearment, isn't it?
That's what makes BBQ'n so much fun.
On the JD briq's I saw them but don't know where to get them.

And don't even get me started on spending money on lump. Firecraft just loves it when we order....lol
stay warm,

old grill goat

Thanks Russ, I'll give it a try.
I have a birthday soon and my wife never knows what to get me.
Charcoal for a present works for me. :wsm:

Did
geez, Tim... you're gonna use the chem-free, extra $$ charcoal on a Dutch Oven cook?
Me?, i'd use the cheapest stuff available only because the quality of the coal does not affect the taste of the final product.
You're only using the coal for heat, not additional flavour.

but that's just me...

im looking at it from a size standpoint. I'm hoping that the larger size will translate into longer burning times before I have to add more coals.
Tim

When I was at a Thanksgiving grilling class at Weber Grill Academy, they were using a brand of charcoal called "Barbeque Wood Flavors." I was told this could be found locally, but I've never seen it (have to admit, I haven't looked).

The instructing chef recommended this stuff and made a comment about Weber thinking about marketing it under their name. I don't know if this is what happened, other than that comment I have no proof of anything. That BWF charcoal worked fine and I'd have no problems with using it. Maybe it's completely unrelated to this BWF stuff. But that might be a comparison worth investigating.

I might well try some of this Weber stuff. At $20/20lbs, it's high, but high compared to KBB, it's not that far off the Kingsford Professional on a per-pound basis. Not as cheap as Stubbs per pound. In a ziploc bag it might be easier to fiddle with too. I will probably get a bag to try out.

Back