About to order! Some questions

Hi everyone!
I've done a little smoking before using my Weber kettle but I was gifted a smoker for Christmas. It is a newer one (trail embers from Tractor Supply) and I haven't really found more than 1 or 2 people using them yet. It actually seems to be constructed pretty well. Here is a picture:
b5e955b4ba377dee05452a2d740e6650.jpg

Anyhow, I am eager to start. Would a fan only be adequate for this? I sealed all bolt holes with RTV high temp and I am buying a gasket for the doors which are a nice stainless. It has only 1 stainless vent door on the bottom, however the box included 2. I was thinking I will weld a piece of pipe to it which I can then somehow adapt to the fan?

I am going to order the thermocouple version. Could you guys look over these 2 sensors and tell me if you would advise against them?

Thermocouple pit probe

Food Probe

For the ambient temperature, do I need another thermometer probe, or is it included in the group parts?

Any other recommendations/considerations?

Last edited:
The stock blower should be ok.

As for the thermocouple you selected, I wouldn't recommend it. It's wire braid is only, fabric reinforced fiberglass and it won't survive for a long time at heats above 200°, and its has exposed Junction, the probe will be very sensitive to any temp variations. Find a thermocouple that has a metal wire covering, that will atleast give it some protection, and get one that's considered to ensure used for BBQ'ing. Thermoworks are really good, but expensive. Auberins are cheaper, and will be ok if you take care of it.

As probes, Mavericks are ok. Prone to water damage, and easily damaged in general. The price you found seems reasonable though. Thermoworks probes are recommended, they have more variety, better construction, water resistant, not much more in cost, and will last longer if you tend to be tough with the probes.

Hi everyone!
I've done a little smoking before using my Weber kettle but I was gifted a smoker for Christmas. It is a newer one (trail embers from Tractor Supply) and I haven't really found more than 1 or 2 people using them yet. It actually seems to be constructed pretty well. Here is a picture:

Anyhow, I am eager to start. Would a fan only be adequate for this? I sealed all bolt holes with RTV high temp and I am buying a gasket for the doors which are a nice stainless. It has only 1 stainless vent door on the bottom, however the box included 2. I was thinking I will weld a piece of pipe to it which I can then somehow adapt to the fan?

I am going to order the thermocouple version. Could you guys look over these 2 sensors and tell me if you would advise against them?

Thermocouple pit probe

Food Probe

For the ambient temperature, do I need another thermometer probe, or is it included in the group parts?

Pull the trigger, it is a nice unit, and you will not find a better controller on the market. I have 3 of them, and have given them to my customers that are into BBQ. As far as your probe selection I would go with the advice given. The thermo works are good probes, also make sure you get a stand. Someone posted a nice 3D printed stand. I use the RTD probes myself, but if you get them toooooo hot they fail, and water well probes + water = buying a new probe. You won't find a better community for automatic grill controllers, and more knowledgeable group of pit masters using any other controller on the market.

Hi everyone!

Thermocouple pit probe

Food Probe

the ambient temp is just a thermister on one of the probe jacks, if you want it, it's not included in parts.

36f6e74656e742e636f6d2f2d6c6c6d5330504437644d512f55454b69625a63357575492f4141414141414141417a302f396d73714b41664e66596f2f733634302f494d4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ambient thermister

That's good to get a reading of the temp in the case, and won't be accurate. I used to have one installed when it was still part of a build, it never was worth using as it would pick up the heat from the board and you had to remember to change the settings when you wanted to have prove 3 show ambient temperatures.

That is actually a pretty slick looking smoker. Looking at the video of the assembly, it looks like you may need to either drill more holes in the side of the charcoal pan, or perhaps just form a new one from expanded steel. Google up "WSM charcoal ring" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

That looks like a really nice 22" cooker for only $200. Good option for someone who doesn't want to build a UDS (assuming it does cook well)

Will do - what did you think? I had my eye on a WSM but this was a gift so I can't complain, I can only try it out!
I liked the spring handles. I liked the wheels on the backside for mobility. I liked that the two doors seemed to fit well! I liked that the lid was hinged and I liked how the lid shape goes up straight for a few inches before starting to dome. There are clamps that fasten the middle to the bottom section, which is necessary for the wheels to work.

On the other hand, I'm a short guy, so reaching down into the middle section might be a challenge for me (the same is true of the 22.5" WSM for me). The steel construction seemed thinner than Weber. I noticed the cooking grates seemed substantial and were porcelain coated, curious to see how that holds up over time vs. the thin plating that Weber's doing these days.

Well here she is! I should have my Rpi today to see if it works!! I'm praying. I have a question about powering it up via micro usb for the first boot. Will a phone charger provide enough power? 5.0v 1000ma

IMG_4699.jpg

Ryan, that smoker you show looks nice. i hope you have great luck with it! i see what seems to be smaller air inlet holes that allow air flow to the briq's, i hope there is enough air to feed and keep a steady temp. let us know! i also like that second door on the front, that may be an air intake as well depending on its level with the first or lower rack. i'll have to stop by our local store, hoping they have one built and on display. i really like the coil over handles! does your smoker come with a parts list, i am wondering if it did, can you let us know a part number for the handles, i'd like to have them on my WSM's! looks cool, oh, and merry Christmas! (a little late)

Just an update, I got to run a test smoke today.. No real food yet waiting on the food probe before a cook this coming Sunday. I still need to seal my doors for good measure but everything seems to be working well after adjusting my top damper closed some. At first I was too hot.
RE the handles: They do not have a part number. They are labeled in the manual as #2 with a parts hotline of 855-735-9922, however it says proof of purchase necessary, take that for what it's worth. Now for the pics!
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.png

Last edited:
I use these :
http://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1001X-OP?tw=VWB

and these what was basically this :

http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-173?tw=VWB

But I have a port on the side of my smoker that I jam the probe part through. You will do better with:

http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-041?tw=VWB

Yeah, they are more money, but I feel that they are worth the extra money because they seem to me to be a better product.

Andrew, I ordered the
http://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1001X-OP?tw=VWB

What make/model do you select for this in the settings since it's not listed? Does it need to be custom?

Back