Temperature Variances On Stock Gauge & Probes

Phil Kane

Greetings and thanks for the grant to this site. Looks interesting and I should pick up lot's of great advise here. I'm a new WSM owner, 18.5 inch. Got it last fall and have done a few smokes which turned out very well. My question is, I was using the stock temp gauge to keep things in order on the grill but i have since purchased a Maverick ET 733 wireless. Today is the first smoke using it and I've clipped one of the probes on the grill to determine the temp at that level. The 733 is showing at 40 degree difference from the dome gauge. Is that normal? I figure the 733 is far more accurate that the dome .... but boy oh boy, that much?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Very normal Phil. Sometimes mine shows a 50 degree difference and other times it is almost accurate.

Two different locations will show two different temps.

I understand that J but that was way off. Other noobs that try to keep their smokers @ 225 for optimum smoke are going to be disappointed ... possibly over cook there stuff if they depend on that readout. My ET733 is reading 225 now and the dome is 180 so at least I"m in the correct zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Very normal Phil. Sometimes mine shows a 50 degree difference and other times it is almost accurate.

Ok thanks for this!

Not an accuracy issue at all. As JBooker wrote... It's location. ( Some of the heat is being absorbed by the meat(s) you are cooking. Otherwise, it wouldn't be cooking ! )

The thermometers on the WSM's are notorious for being inaccurate. As both Bob and JBooker pointed out probe location is key. If I recall correctly form what I've read the probe should be approx 2 inches from the meat.

I understand that J but that was way off. Other noobs that try to keep their smokers @ 225 for optimum smoke are going to be disappointed ... possibly over cook there stuff if they depend on that readout. My ET733 is reading 225 now and the dome is 180 so at least I"m in the correct zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks for this!

Agree. Totally normal. Mine will often show a 40F or so difference between the grate and dome. Just go with what the Maverick is showing and you'll be fine.

Other noobs that try to keep their smokers @ 225 for optimum smoke are going to be disappointed ... possibly over cook there stuff if they depend on that readout. My ET733 is reading 225 now and the dome is 180 so at least I"m in the correct zone.

I don't know. Did you have any bad cooks before you found out the temp difference? Id bet probably not and the temp at the cooking location really didn't matter. As long as your consistent with your temp control your cooks will be predictable. The exact number on the thermometer isn't important. You should be able to go by what ever thermometer you get comfortable using. It like an oven or a microwave. They all cook differently but once your use to it you know how it behaves.

People get way to hung up on temp readings, do dads and gadgets that fix issues that don't exist.

I don't know. Did you have any bad cooks before you found out the temp difference? Id bet probably not and the temp at the cooking location really didn't matter. As long as your consistent with your temp control your cooks will be predictable. The exact number on the thermometer isn't important. You should be able to go by what ever thermometer you get comfortable using. It like an oven or a microwave. They all cook differently but once your use to it you know how it behaves.

People get way to hung up on temp readings, do dads and gadgets that fix issues that don't exist.

I have to say JBooker is right on.
My 08 WSM didn't have a lid therm, so I went with the advice of the board and used a turkey fryer therm clipped into the top vent.
Did a whole year of pretty dang good smokes and then my Son's decided to surprise with a gift of a Mav and a Tel-Tru.
Mounted the TT and used the Mav and my top vent therm on my first cook and temps where all over the place> which one is right, which one should I use?
Then I decided to go back to what worked b-4, and that's taking temp's in my top vent.:wsm:

Tim

Like the old saying goes, man with two watches never knows what time it is.
I learned early on not to worry about temps so much.

Exactly, my experience with my equipment goes back to 08.
Like the old Chicago song. Does any one really know what time or temp it is, does any one really care?
I did at the beginning, but learned to trust my instincts and get a feel of the cook, (meat) not get hung up on locking in on a particular temp.
My WSM's roll @ 275 with minimum fuss with an empty foiled pan, so I just adjust the cook to the cooker.:wsm:

Tim

Mine just flat out died. It will not go above 250 or below 180. I wish tel tru made one in the right size for the stock bezel. I know the location is bad, but I just like dial therms for some reason.

The thermometers on the WSM's are notorious for being inaccurate. As both Bob and JBooker pointed out probe location is key. If I recall correctly form what I've read the probe should be approx 2 inches from the meat.

My grill probe was 2 inches from the meat and 5 inches from the front. Centered.

Back