Rotisserie Picanha

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Torrential rains, high winds & flash flood advisories..... & I wanted to cook Picanha for the first time.

Went to the local high zoot grocery store (CAB beef) the day before & asked the meat cutters if they would cut a Picanha for me.
Sure.... what's that? It's aka as sirloin cap. Yeah.... no problem. What does it cost? $10/lb. What does one of those weigh? About 2 pounds.
Gulp... OK. So one of them cuts it, trims the fat cap a bit & puts it on the scale: 4.4 pounds. Shee...

So after that, I'm going to cook it come hell or high water. Well... it's def high water. Can't do it on the back porch - it's uncovered.
I decided to do it on the covered front porch, although there is only one little light out there. No biggie - I can run an extension cord for lighting & the rotisserie.

I trimmed the fat off the meat side of the roast, squared it up a bit, cut it into 4 slices along the grain (saved 2 for another day), & put them on the spit.
I gave each side a heavy dusting of coarse sea salt & let them sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.

32054695990_fcc4de6238_b.jpg

Into the 14.5 WSM over a full ring of KBB, 5 chunks of mesquite & temp at 385*. Direct cook - no diffuser.

31589365094_bf9538d2ed_b.jpg

About 30 minutes in & cooker temp is now 350*:

32432436555_c484eb3949_b.jpg

50 minutes with an internal temp of 135* & pulled.

32054695730_bdda8b6f95_b.jpg

After foiling (loose tent) & 10 minute rest.

31589365004_a3cd30899c_b.jpg
[/url]

Plated with pinquito beans, garlic bread & sliced avocado. Time To Eat!!!!

32054695590_a04c075060_b.jpg

Ao melhor!

Last edited:
Robert,

Is this cooking method used in Brazil for this cut? Or your spin on how to cook? Pun intended,

jz

What does it cost? $10/lb. What does one of those weigh? About 2 pounds.
Gulp... OK. So one of them cuts it, trims the fat cap a bit & puts it on the scale: 4.4 pounds. Shee...

That's about normal price for it BUT I've read elsewhere that that is considered "a reasonable price for that cut of beef". I'm in your camp on this one Robert :mad:

You sure did it justice though :)

I was kicking myself right after I bought it. I could have got a prime packer at Costco for that much money.
However... I think it's way better than any brisket I've ever had or cooked. The fat was incredible.

fwiw - my wife & I both got stuffed on those 2 cuts & had enough for a light lunch the next day.
& there is still half of the roast in the freezer which is enough for 2 more.

Last edited:
Well, that got my stomach grumbling. That looks absolutely fabulous Robert! Looks perfectly cooked and those beans look terrific also.

Back