Need some advice....

Andre A

TVWBB Member
As I have stated in a few threads, I will be cooking for my wife's family reunion. I suspect to have more than four people there so I was planning on cooking two briskets, two pork butts and one Turkey.. My question is about the meats. I have cooked tons of brisket before but always choice and never Prime or Wagyu. All the folks coming in for the reunion are from Chicago, Texas, Alabama and Mississippi. Part of me knows that once they here we are bbqing several of those loud mouths country folks will be very curious as to what I can accomplish being an islander that lives in VA. So needless to say, I want to impress big time. So what are your thoughts, should I pay the extra for the good stuff? If so where should I purchase it from. Pound for Pound, I would simple do one of those USDA prime brisket from Costco, but they are not available in VA.

The same thing goes for the pork butts. I am thinking about going to one of the many local Virginia Farms that sell Berkshire porks. I greatly appreciate any advice. Best

IMHO a pork butt is a pork butt. Maybe high quality beef is a different story, but if I were cooking for forty people, I wouldn't care.

Pork is not subject to the same grading as beef so, get your butt anywhere you like.
Beef, see your butcher or a packing house. I have always thought the idea of BARBECUE was the turn sand into cinnamon, use the lesser products (butts and briskets) and make something phenomenal with them. So the use of these seriously pricey pieces of meat is kind of an oxy moron. I know why it's done but, it still makes me smile.

If you're cooking for a crowd I would go with what you're familiar with. Changing grades of meat might have a different outcome than you're used to. Stay in your comfort zone and make it as easy as you can on yourself.

For a crowd I would stay with what you've been using. I typically stay with choice for brisket and chuck and whatever I can get that looks good for pork/boston butt. The connective tissue and long slow cooks in these cuts compensates just fine. IMHO the additional margin to be gained by using high priced versions of these cuts - I would save the $$ to buying a standing rib roast, etc. I doubt your friends are using Wagyu and Prime, etc :)

Last edited:
Gotta agree with the Members above. Spending more doesn't always equal a success, remember it's the Cook not the,,,

Tim

I second Tim's sentiment. I heard it said tha BBQ is about taking the poor man's meat and making it the rich man's desire.

I agree with the above for the beef, cook the cut your familiar with and have done before. As for pork I have always gone with Boston butts. They have a little more bone but I think that gives my pulled pork flavor, plus it's easy to tell when it's done ithout a thermometer, a tug on the bone and if it releases, it's done!

I have spent money on the higher graded meats including buying from some of the mail order places. I find there is not enough difference to worry about. Focus on your rubs and sauces and mind your cooking technique and you will do well.

My first brisket was just salt and pepper. Had found a choice flat and it came out pretty good.
Through the years I've tried all kind of rubs, some bought some home made. Tried different grades of meat. Lately I cook whole a briskest with just salt and pepper.
I buy what's available at the store.
Not a big selection to choose from.
None of the people that come over to eat ever complain.
Low and slow is where it's at.
Some get here early, some arrive
a little later. But we all just enjoy the outting.

good luck with the cook!

not seeing when the party was to take place, i'll assume its not too late...and if i am, well, that's about how i run anyway! 40 folks, that is a hand full to cook for, hoping you have help, that might be a task. after reading the thread, it seems pretty conclusive, and no with question, i agree, cook what is in your zone! and the meat, at the end, your timing, rubs and sauces will easily take the weight away form pressure about high end meats. and my friend, who's to say those folks you are concerned about have had the best there is? my bet, you will be setting a new bar height for them. if the cook has not taken place yet, my 2 cents, which i know put together will not buy a thing, is you'll pull this off well, their home cooks may need some work and one of the memories of their trip will be the smoked meats! and have a good time at the reunion!

Every Thanksgiving, I cook brisket for a bunch of Texas brisket snobs. I always use Choice and they always rave. They start calling around the first of October to make sure there is going to be brisket. As for butts, I buy whatever is on sale. Never had a complaint, and I'm not Johnny Trigg, I'm just an average guy who knows his way around a smoker like you and most of the other guys here. It doesn't matter if you cook it in Virginia or Texas, good Q is good Q. Knock 'em dead with what you know. Any snide comments will be regional pride; it won't be about your Q.

My wife's uncle always thinks he's the family outdoor chef. He's a great fella but you can tell it gets his crawl some. One time we were all on vacation and I made homemade sausage gravy and scratch biscuits. He was complaining that they weren't cooked enough...not brow on top but no dough. When I pointed out he was devouring it and going back for seconds, he had to laugh at himself. Now, he has to join in out how great my smoked turkey is every TG...his grandkids beg for it and pick the bones clean. He has to go along! Haha

Back