New 18 1/2" SMC arrived today

BobCef

TVWBB Member
Hi I'm Bob and live in Buffalo NY I am new to smoking and will probably have a lot of questions. My new 18 1'2" smoker arrived and while assembling I found that the screw to mount the handle is missing. I was hoping that someone could tell me what size thread and length the screw is so that I can go to my local hardware store and pick one up. Looks like the head would be small like an allen head or machine screw. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
Bob Cef

Hi Bob, and welcome!

Not sure how to determine thread count, maybe you can teach me based on these photos:

bIF2gFZ.jpg

GKqqlng.jpg

vGtiOJB.jpg

GAIf9bO.jpg

Chris TY for the fast reply. Its what I thought. No threads to count it's a self taping screw. No threads in the recieving part of the handle. You've been a great help. By the way in order to determine threads per inch (tpi) you would need a thread gauge. Found a screw that worked in my junk box. :)

Thanks again Chris
Bob Cef

Last edited:
Chris one more question. The rubber grommet that is supplied with the grill to insert therm probes seems impossible to insert. Ant tips? I was thing to apply some dish soap to lubricate.

Thanks
Bob Cef

Yeah, you really have to muscle that grommet into place. At the point at which you think it will never go in is when it pops into place. :D

Welcome to the forum Bob and congrats on the new WSM. You will love it here as everyone is very friendly and willing to help.

Yeah, you really have to muscle that grommet into place. At the point at which you think it will never go in is when it pops into place. :D

Chris here's a little tip I think would be helpful. Take a bottle of liquid soap and put a drop or 2 inside the gasket split. Rub it around with your finger. Gasket slips right in.

Welcome to the forum Bob.
Try putting a little cooking oil on the grommet.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BobCef

Chris here's a little tip I think would be helpful. Take a bottle of liquid soap and put a drop or 2 inside the gasket split. Rub it around with your finger. Gasket slips right in.
I'll have to give that a try someday. Thanks Bob! :D

or, Try putting a little cooking oil on the grommet.

​Great Idea! Thanks Bob!
winking_emoji_face_funny_custom_sticker-rfbc16c50cc794084a7ea54e5486d67b9_v9wth_8byvr_324.jpg

Back