How low can you maintain on WSC?

BYoney

I really enjoy making summer sausage, polish etc...typically i use my masterbuilt electric smoker to accomplish this. Has anyone tried to do a 170-200 degree cook on the WSC for an extended time?

Thought I saw a video from Baby Back Maniac where he ran three full chimneys worth of coal and lit 15-20 using minion and for a crazy, no food burn, for something like 2 days around the 200 degeee mark. Check you tube for the video was pretty interesting.

I have only gotten in two short cooks on mine.

That's pretty cool. I haven't cooked with temperatures that low on mine. It's good to know it can be done.

I've had mine since it launched last April and this is my one issue. I have trouble keeping it that low. 235-ish no problem but even keeping it in the 210-220 range is tough for me. What is your vent config to keep it lower?

I used a very small screwdriver and put it in the bottom vent then closed it down against the shaft of the screwdriver. Then with a Sharpie I marked the spot on the lower vent adjuster. Top vent 1/2 closed. I used 2 bowls of charcoal which was more then enough.

That's a really good idea on the screwdriver. I do feel like I am guessing on the vent sometimes. Also good to know on the top vent. With the WSM I almost never touch it (wide open) but with the WSC I notice it gets hot when I close it too much. I'll try half.

Do you do anything special with the charcoal? Or just spread it out, gas for 10 min and go?

Back