WSM 18.5" water pan question

MNunez

I recently acquired a 18.5" WSM with no water pan, replacement pans are $30+ dollars, my question is would a smokey Joe lid work (dimension wise) in the water pan place. I am not going to add water, I will just line it with foil to catch drippings? I can find Smokey Joe's for free sometimes on CL or for like $10, way cheaper than buying $30 + shipping.

Thanks for your help.

I recently acquired a 18.5" WSM with no water pan, replacement pans are $30+ dollars, my question is would a smokey Joe lid work (dimension wise) in the water pan place. I am not going to add water, I will just line it with foil to catch drippings? I can find Smokey Joe's for free sometimes on CL or for like $10, way cheaper than buying $30 + shipping.Thanks for your help.
This was my solution. And you can stack a couple, should you want to increase your indirectness

https://www.katom.com/080-APZT18.ht...campaign=CSE&gclid=CMbP5tuxx9ECFRBxfgodLhsIpw

I use a terra cotta flower pot base even though I still have my water pan. I foil it for easy cleaning and has good heat mass.

I recently acquired a 18.5" WSM with no water pan, replacement pans are $30+ dollars, my question is would a smokey Joe lid work (dimension wise) in the water pan place. I am not going to add water, I will just line it with foil to catch drippings? I can find Smokey Joe's for free sometimes on CL or for like $10, way cheaper than buying $30 + shipping.

Thanks for your help.

Yes it will. Weber used the blank lid (without the vent holes and handle bracket ) on the older 18.5" WSM's and the charcoal bowl on the newer ones.
Go with what was suggested above or your original plan.

Tim

I have a 14.5" heavy glazed clay plant saucer that fits right on the tabs for water bowl, it helps help the WSM recover quickly after opening the lid. It cost me $14 at Lowes, double wrap in HD foil and put another sheet on top that just fits over the edges, after a cook pull the top sheet and replace, ready for the next cook. Another bonus is it being flat on the bottom you have more clearance to really pile up the charcoal for long cooks.

Cool thank you guys! Now I have a few options, all are great ideas! I might just go to Lowe's or HD to pick up a plant saucer since the stores are nearby, unless I find a really cheap Smokey Joe on CL close to me.

MNunez, I have an 18.5" water pan that I do not use. Although I live in Menifee, I go to Huntington Beach regularly for golf. However I won't be going until the end of the month (heading north to visit daughter). If you want mine, we could work out a meet. Message me if interested.

Hi All What size terracottoa planter base would I need for a 22" WSM..Looked around Lowes the other day 15 1/2 was the biggest I saw.
Right now I'm using the water pan foiled with lava rocks.
Thanks Dan

Back