Vortex Question

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
After reading a number of posts and seeing some awesome cooks here using the Vortex I'm thinking of gettin one but do have a couple of questions. First, I have a Performer with the Gourmet BBQ system. Should I get the small? Second, I heard the high heat generated by the Vortex can damage the grate on the Gourmet BBQ system. Is that true? I'd also appreciate any advice/tips you Vortex users can offer. Thanks guys.

Medium size is what I use on my Performer. I haven' seen any damage to the grate yet, you can always cook without the center grate.

JR, I would imagine the gourmet system would be the way to go, in that you can remove the center section when using the vortex. Also, before you drop the money on a vortex, i recommend making one for yourself. I went to Walmart and bought an 8" stainless steel bowl and cut the bottom out of it. I have $7 and about 10 minutes invested in it and it works like a champ. However you de ide to go, the vortex is (in my opinion) a must have in any grilling arsenal.
Good luck,
Tim

I too use the Medium size Vortex with my Performer and have had no problems with damage to the grate. I love to do stir fry using a wok and have found that the Vortex sits a little to high for the wok, so I have to use the charcoal holders. If you buy a Vortex you'll love it and use it a lot.

Bill

Another vote for the medium Vortex. I also use the gourmet system and remove the center section from time to time. My gourmet system already was having problems when I got my vortex so that did not apply. The only issue I have when using the vortex is that I have to use a welding glove to lift the lid since the handle gets very hot when using the Vortex. Bottom line is that you will love the Vortex. My logic is to just by the real Vortex and not try to make your own. Just my opinion.

I have the medium for my performer, but I don't have the gourmet system and the vortex did a number on the plated grill I now have nice big rusty spot in the center of it.
I also did the Walmart dog bowl for my Jumbo Joe and it works very well and for $7.00 you can't go wrong.

I tried the dog bowl thing and am not impressed, maybe I made a poor bowl selection?
I did pick up a piece of duct reducer which might be a good try for round two. I picked it up when a local icon hardware store closed after 150 years! I hate feeling like a vulture going in but, it was something like 60% off and it's quite a bit heavier than the bowl, I need to trim the height. Spring is coming....

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you run the kettle with both vents wide open? If not how do you normally set them?

Full bore! The idea is I to create as much directed heat as possible, at least that's how,I understand it.
For super searing product directly above the "cone", for things like wings use is as a convection cannon. The superheated air creates a high temperature circular airflow which, in theory, seems quite reasonable. My illegitimate dog bowl design I think was too shallow to create the "vortex" to drive the heat column. If this Gyro Gearloose attempt at making one doesn't work, I will have to break down and buy the real thing.
Again, I'm a simple guy with a grilling problem.

JR.
What TFL says. Open those bottom vents to 11 !! (Medium vortex here. 22" MT. Teeny-Weeney vortex for the JJ & SJ). IMO, it's the BEST way to do chicken wings/drums/thighs.

Thanks Dale. My primary concern was pertaining to what I had heard about the Vortex damaging the grate. I did order the medium.

The Vortex will probably out live your Weber gourmet cooking grate.
Medium vortex also, I let the coals cool down to about 450° before i put the wings on. Then 12-15 minutes before i spin the lid.

fBMYfmch.jpg
[/IMG]

Love my Vortex with cast iron grates. Chicken wings and whole chickens come out great. It's also great to use for searing.

Back