RiversEdge Flavorizer Bars

Jim,
RiversEdge is what I went with for the grill I rehabbed for my son 2 years ago and they're holding up just fine.
He's doesn't grill as often as some folks here, so I can't attest to their overall longevity.

Fn9m74Fj3jGaQ5BRrmY5slXLf5zt2-4wE1TkhdTNd1RLtjcGHtBFni-uLxaEDpc4NMYPDYBIVpNXpoKFUnwC-ZkB89pl_FUkwEqPQVZMDJMgPsFmE9iOmp1BMYsAQZcNFtfaCN4QBK3u6gHNI-bw3wpn1INItbjYZHBIlEREA_cPbRveYUiQugnOsaliqyEhPb1y6MINB8_OX0Vfz8fJkoR3aNqclr1di4Fw-UebilCF926MC_hmCpdG17NH73lpeZkTP47VUGZ2JBcsTjyN9YffK30klr_eTS6qCfLSOD8ejrmzWdaOYjlIbtSm9ME7VaWV4sN0gG8HCK3qHP3D3gXkmXVFsnHWXFuTsAOj_nS52QoOr0v2OAhnMBmMyBLh_M65zn4YqHjPCHok-gyfRhSbAjz6auhv_Vj4W4MPkeIhrXLY1SVeJdFPzsavK9RA2HvrG5SmKZyt-HyYzWCVanSnM1AZSF3GrwP_3vBAOv2xc7oq2Sn07AX7B_jBsRH-qEYxLPtUVad1qEQTbx9f8tEpwxF6YGnSkFBPGmuFBB0gtYe6gklBsdolEDh1SS5VdS4qN2hRyXD4Gy878_Fzii7iK3hZ1WXbYx911KbyD-2-Kv5dW83Peg=w1344-h896-no

I think I read they are a somewhat lower grade stainless steel than the ones rcplaner uses. But they are a lot less $$. I bet they would hold up for a number of years though. They look like a good bargain.

One difference from the Weber bars is that these are cut square at the ends, whereas the original ones are cut at a diagonal - so the bottom is the same length but the top extends closer to the front/back wall of the firebox. I have no clue as to whether this is important.

Jim I am sure they are just like Weber's in that they're made of the cheaper 430 grade stainless. Whereas RC makes his from 304 grade which for all intents and purposes would be a lifetime investment. Same with his grates. I am sure the prices from Weber are extremely inflated as I am sure like most everything else they're selling their own comes from China. But of course if they put the magic value adding Weber name on the box voila' you have a $5.00 part you can sell for $70! I am sure these will last every bit as long or longer than Weber OEM. Enjoy the savings

I can't find anything called "rcplaner" in a google search.

He's on eBay only. His grates and flavorizers are the thickest and heaviest and made of the best grade of stainless. They are worth it but they are pricey. I went with his stuff for my father's old genesis 1000. But for my genesis A I went with cheaper stuff at about half the cost. I expect to not ever have to replace the rcplanerbuyer stuff. My guesstimate is that the cheaper stainless stuff will last 5 to 10 years. It just depends on what you want.

Thanks for all the info.
Interesting aside: Stainless grades are (obviously) application dependent. I work with saltwater marine parts where 304 stainless is considered junk. Only 316 is in all quality parts. Yet even 316, like most stainless grades, is not very resistant to any chloride-based compounds.

Yep! All Stainless alloys are not created equal. Most of them were created with particular purposes in mind.
-Some are great for high-heat applications (my FIL worked for a company that did Iron Ore processing / refractory parts)
-Some are great for salt-water corrosion resistance (I think these have more Nickel/Copper in them. still have some cut-off chunks of Monel prop shaft material from Luxury Yacht manufacturer where my Dad worked)
-Some are great for Cutlery (usually, high-Chromium for hardness)

I've got the bars and grates from the rdplanebuyer guy for over 3 years and they're holding-up wonderfully and spread the heat / give grill marks like I want 'em

Exactly, and just because a stainless grade is ferritic doesn't make it necessarily inferior. When people say that steel that's magnetically attracticting couldn't be stainless (or all stainless), that's not true. Looked up prices of some grades per pound (this is in large quantities) - 430 = $.80, 304 = $1.08, 316 - $1.44. 430 is still "very good" corrosion-resistance, and for the 20% cost increase, 304 gets you "excellent" corrosion resistance.

Back