FIRST TIME smoking today. Might have some QUESTIONS or need HELP.

Steve in Cincy

Good morning. I'm writing from Cincinnati, where it's a gray and chilly day (temp in the 30's F), and I'm planning to use the Weber 18.5" smoker my daughter gave me for Christmas for the first time later today. I'm nervous. I'm using a pork shoulder that I trimmed and tied last night, final weight 7 lb 11 oz. Not sure how things would go with the dry rub, so I rubbed it last night and it's been in the fridge for about 15 hours now.

Question 1: Does it hurt to leave the meat, already rubbed, in the fridge too long? If so, what happens?

Question 2: Since the outside temp will be in the 30's or so the entire time, any idea how much additional time will be needed for the meat to reach proper internal temp?

My plan is to fire the smoker about 6:00pm today and smoke overnight.

Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks!!

Steve

1) Nope
2) The ideal pit temp for a low & slow shoulder is 225-250, and you'll likely be cooking until the meat is 195 to 205, what you're looking for is the probe to go in effortlessly when you check temp

What time do you plan to serve your shoulder? I would have to believe your total cook time won't exceed 10 hours, and I suggest at least one hour rest, wrapped in foil, then wrapped in towels and snugly put away in a small ice chest that you prewarmed with hot water

If I can offer up these words of advise... Totally FILL, to the maximum, the charcoal basket with unlit !!!

1. No, I usually rub the night before. As long as you don't have it on there for DAYS....
2. It really won't take longer as the smoker temp will be the same, but you will be burning threw more fuel. Have extra on hand.
A new wsm will run hotter, so don't worry if your temps are up near 250-275. The pork won't care.

My plan is to fire the smoker about 6:00pm today and smoke overnight.
meat on about 7pm... guessimate cooking time (7lb 11oz) at 250ºF: 5am
pulled pork for breakfast, cool!

The above advice is rock solid. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new WSM. There is a lot to learn here and to share also. Remember, we like pics also.

The outside temp won't affect the fuel consumption to much, but if it's windy that will make the WSM burn fuel much faster to maintain temps. So as to what Bob said fill it up.
Also welcome to the forum and good luck with your first smoke.

1. It depends on how salty your rub is. The saltier it is, the shorter the time you should allow it to sit in the frig. Salt does penetrate the meat and allow it hold more water but it also can dry out your shoulder over time and change the texture of the meat. In most cases, overnight is just fine. But in a few days, well, I would not do that. It's harder to mess up a shoulder but in something like ribs, it matters more because the cut of meat is thinner and more susceptible to becoming ham-like in texture.
2. Shouldn't make it big difference like everyone said....except for wind. If you put in at 6pm, I'd likely be really tired watching it through the night. But I run it a bit hotter. If you can keep it at 225 or so, done by breakfast is doable.

Best of luck to you. What a great gift from your daughter!

Hello Steve,

My experience?

1. No
2. Outside temp will not make a difference, just be prepared to use more fuel. I have smoked numerous time in my WSM at 20 below zero without a wind chill. Didn't really have to smoke any longer, but do use more coal! I usually have a couple hundred pounds hanging around the garage though! :coolkettle:

1. It depends on how salty your rub is. The saltier it is, the shorter the time you should allow it to sit in the frig. Salt does penetrate the meat and allow it hold more water but it also can dry out your shoulder over time and change the texture of the meat. In most cases, overnight is just fine. But in a few days, well, I would not do that. It's harder to mess up a shoulder but in something like ribs, it matters more because the cut of meat is thinner and more susceptible to becoming ham-like in texture.
Words from the wise, thank Donna for sharing

Back