Back Ribs Foil Ingredients

Kevin Pitzer

Question to all you Baby Back lovers.

I have seen a lot of ideas when foiling back ribs and would like to ask your preferred method and why?

Some use apple juice only, some butter, brown sugar and honey or just butter. What do you foil with?

Well, Kevin, I've used plain apple juice as a braising agent, and I've used variations of the Trigg method with Parkay, brown sugar, honey, and hot sauce. I've alternated the Parkay for real butter, used different kinds of honey, like orange blossom or yellow clover, and sriracha for heat or a little Texas Pete. Whatever I have on hand. If I foil,
I'll use one of these methods. Or I've done butter, honey, brown sugar, and a good BBQ sauce in the foil until the ribs are probe tender.

I've been getting good results with apple cider and some of the left over rub mixed in. Just don't add too much liquid - I've found too much sucks flavor out.

i plan to foil next time i do ribs (would be my 1st time foiling ribs) was thinking of brushing them with BBQ sauce when i do. anyone else like it doing it this way??

I used to foil, and basically you're doing a "braise" cook when doing so. You do get "fall off the bone" ribs, but you lose any chance of crusty ribs. However when I did foil, I would use this mop sauce before foiling: This is for 4 or more ribs:

1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup Jack Daniels or Spiced Rum
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Put the partially cooked ribs on foil, mop them good and then seal them up in foil and return to the BBQ. I wouldn't go more than an hour, that way you can return them unfoiled, so that you can try and get some crust back

I use Apple juice or apple cider only depending on which of the 2 I have on hand..

I prefer to add other flavors as a final glaze instead.

I loooove and use, some brown sugar sprinkled on the ribs, a touch of makers mark bourbon, a bit of apple juice, and also a bit of Wickers marinade....almost even thirds for the wet ingredients......

Over N Out.

A little melted butter, clover honey, some rub and a tbsp of grape jelly (melted to a liquid form) adds great flavor plus the color and shine on the ribs will be real nice....

I like to use a little butter (not parkay), brown sugar, honey, and some chili pepper jelly. Always gives a nice shine to the ribs, too.

we foil most of our rib smokes. double foil. we add a little apple juice, apple sauce which is spread or smeared lightly over the ribs, light drizzle of honey and a light dusting of the flavor of rub mix we started with. 2 +/- hours foil, unwrap and back on for 10-20 minutes to re-crisp the bark. off the smoker, to the table with a stop at the garage fridge for another ice cold beer! oh yeah!

I got away from foil, just go naked with a simple rub, spritz with some FAJC on the half hour.

Tim

I have tried many of the exotic methods mentioned here and on tv, but the last few I have foiled I ONLY used butter and ONLY foiled them for 45 - 1 hour depending on heat. After those results, I'll never go back to the "rib candy" style methods.

I usually foil ribs, but don't see any reason to add flavorings. There is plenty of moisture from the ribs themselves to make for an effective braise. Any flavors you add to the foil could be added later, and probably in a more controlled manner.

I use frozen apple juice concentrate diluted 50:50 with water rather than the called for 25:75 called for on the can. I also add the undiluted concentrate to my BBQ sauce for the glaze.

Back