Fresh Ham from Christmas Eve

Nathan FA

TVWBB Member
My brother in law came into town and wanted to try smoking a fresh ham. First time with a fresh ham for either of us. He had it in brine for 5 days and we smoked it on my Kamado Joe. I have never been a big fan of Ham mostly due to the cured taste. Fresh ham definitely has a different taste and texture and it was pretty delicious.

After around an hour and a half on the smoker at 350
Ham1.jpg

First round of Honey Mustard Glaze
Ham2.jpg

Last round of Glaze
Ham7.jpg

Resting getting ready to carve
Ham3.jpg

Ham4.jpg

The spread
Ham5.jpg

The Plate
Ham6.jpg

Yup, there is a certain texture (a good texture) to fresh ham. You can see it in your plated pic. Looks great :)

Great leg of pig! I love fresh ham, it's not really the smoked product we think of as ham but more a fantastic, tastefully flavored, rewarding roast leg of pork! Don't get me wrong but, given the choice between a production ham and something like you did? Invite me over and you will surely have fewer leftovers than you might want! Looks outstanding!

I have never been a big fan of Ham mostly due to the cured taste. Fresh ham definitely has a different taste and texture and it was pretty delicious
That's good to know, will have to look into a fresh ham. Yours looks fantastic, I'm confident your BIL enjoyed that

Thanks all. We were both very happy how it came out. Not my typical Christmas meal (normally go with beef) but I would definitely cook one again.

Left overs were not an issue....it was a 20+ pound hunk of meat and we had 6 adults eating on Christmas Eve haha. I gave out leftovers to family on Christmas day ;)

That's good to know, will have to look into a fresh ham. Yours looks fantastic, I'm confident your BIL enjoyed that

Brother in Law was very happy with it, he runs a BBQ team/catering business on the side and is thinking about adding it to his menu.

As for the flavor was much more like a pork chop or tenderloin and the texture I might say is similar to turkey breast....or a not so tender pork loin.

Dayum, Nathan, that looks great! I like pork chops and tenderloin, but will have to wrap my head around that flavor with the texture of turkey breast! :) Any thought if whether some sort of "au jus" or pan sauce would have been a welcome addition? I make a mustard-based pan sauce when I sauté pork chops, so that's what I have in my head.

I don't think I'll trade out my standing rib next Christmas, but this could be a meal to play with when entertaining a large crowd.

Thanks for posting!

R

Back