Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Ham from Christmas Eve

TVWBB Member

Fresh Ham from Christmas Eve

My brother in law came into town and wanted to try smoking a fresh ham. First time with a fresh ham for either of us. He had it in brine for 5 days and we smoked it on my Kamado Joe. I have never been a big fan of Ham mostly due to the cured taste. Fresh ham definitely has a different taste and texture and it was pretty delicious.

After around an hour and a half on the smoker at 350

First round of Honey Mustard Glaze

Last round of Glaze

Resting getting ready to carve

The spread

The Plate
    18.5" WSM, Genesis E-330, Original 22" Kettle, bells and whistles.......

Fantastic looking ham.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Yup, there is a certain texture (a good texture) to fresh ham. You can see it in your plated pic. Looks great
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Great leg of pig! I love fresh ham, it's not really the smoked product we think of as ham but more a fantastic, tastefully flavored, rewarding roast leg of pork! Don't get me wrong but, given the choice between a production ham and something like you did? Invite me over and you will surely have fewer leftovers than you might want! Looks outstanding!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Oh man, what a feast. Looks delicious!
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan FA View Post
    I have never been a big fan of Ham mostly due to the cured taste. Fresh ham definitely has a different taste and texture and it was pretty delicious
    That's good to know, will have to look into a fresh ham. Yours looks fantastic, I'm confident your BIL enjoyed that
    85 78

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I have never tried fresh ham, look fantastic though.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Man that is one awesome spread and the ham WOW!!! You both did outstanding.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

TVWBB Member
    Thanks all. We were both very happy how it came out. Not my typical Christmas meal (normally go with beef) but I would definitely cook one again.

Left overs were not an issue....it was a 20+ pound hunk of meat and we had 6 adults eating on Christmas Eve haha. I gave out leftovers to family on Christmas day

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    That's good to know, will have to look into a fresh ham. Yours looks fantastic, I'm confident your BIL enjoyed that
    Brother in Law was very happy with it, he runs a BBQ team/catering business on the side and is thinking about adding it to his menu.

As for the flavor was much more like a pork chop or tenderloin and the texture I might say is similar to turkey breast....or a not so tender pork loin.
    18.5" WSM, Genesis E-330, Original 22" Kettle, bells and whistles.......

Dayum, Nathan, that looks great! I like pork chops and tenderloin, but will have to wrap my head around that flavor with the texture of turkey breast! Any thought if whether some sort of "au jus" or pan sauce would have been a welcome addition? I make a mustard-based pan sauce when I sauté pork chops, so that's what I have in my head.

I don't think I'll trade out my standing rib next Christmas, but this could be a meal to play with when entertaining a large crowd.

Thanks for posting!

R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast