Grillgate grates?

I hope this wasn't posted before, I searched around and didn't find anything. Anyway- I don't own a Weber yet but looking at a previous gen Genesis or New Genesis and read some of the complaints on the wide spacing of the grill slats. Then I started seeing facebook ads on grillgate, which looks like there's versions to be used on top or to replace existing grates, for both gas and charcoal (and other designs too).

They claim- increase heat, eliminate flare ups, better sear marks and never rusts. By its design it also looks like it would prevent food from falling through.

No affiliation, I'm genuinely curious if anyone has used the grillgate products.

https://www.grillgrate.com/

57eea2a5e4b0cb26915d4950-optimized.jpeg

I use Grill Grates on my Genesis S330 and have for more than a few years now. I find them to be a must have for preventing flair ups, even heat distribution, and flavor from the vaporizing juices. Grill Grates have and still, win first place awards for best steak. Also, there made in the USA. However, like anything else, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Good luck and great cooks.

Bill

Around three months ago I purchased three(3) 13.75" Grill Grates from Amazon for my Weber Mastertouch 22" Charcoal Grill. I have done around a half-dozen successful cooks, i.e., salmon steaks, beef steaks and hamburgers and I am one-happy Grill Grate Customer as they control any charcoal flare-ups and the food seems to cook a lot faster.

Since this original Post I also purchased some custom Grill Grates for my Weber Smoky Joe and a few Grill Grate Tools(Grate Cleaning Tool, GrateTongs), so, I continue to be one happy customer.

Last edited:
Eric,
There has been plenty of discussion about the Grillgrates here, with most people who have them liking them very much.

BTW, Welcome!

So happy with the Regular 13.75" Grill Grates that I ordered a few months ago I just placed another order for a Custom Fit Grill Grates for my Weber Smoky Joe(WSJ) 14.5". I use this little gem of a cooker on almost a daily basis and only one(1) modified regular Grill Grate Fits which covers only a small area of this Grill. On the Grill Grate Website it states that these Custom Fit Grill Grates will cover almost 90% of the WSJ Kettle.

Last edited:
Do the grill grates replace the regular cooking grates or lay on top of them???
Where is the best place to buy them?

Do the grill grates replace the regular cooking grates or lay on top of them???
Where is the best place to buy them?

you can do it either way. I think originally you were just supposed to put them on top of your existing grates, but now they make replacement sets for the most popular sizes or you can get custom made. I went with a replacement set for a Spirit E310 and so far they have been excellent. I purchased from Amazon Prime since I was impatient. the price comes out pretty close to their website if you have the Amazon store card with 5% cash back. Their own website has a 15% off Father's day sale now with code "GRATEFUL"

That is cool. But, I am not in a position right now to get a set...But, I will consider these when I need to replace grates.

Jeff G.: Per the Grill Grates Instruction Manual and I quote: " Clean the rails during warm-up with a standard grill brush. Less is more. The technique is more wiping than aggressive brushing. Semi-annually soak GrillGrates in hot soapy water and scrub with a sponge or brillo pad. Avoid over cleaning in the beginning to allow the grates to season and become non-stick."

Jeff G.: Per the Grill Grates Instruction Manual and I quote: " Clean the rails during warm-up with a standard grill brush. Less is more. The technique is more wiping than aggressive brushing. Semi-annually soak GrillGrates in hot soapy water and scrub with a sponge or brillo pad. Avoid over cleaning in the beginning to allow the grates to season and become non-stick."

And one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01B3L1Q7A/tvwb-20

Here's something to think about with regards to sear marks, they are carcinogenic and something you really don't want in your food. Just saying

Yah, my drinking water has carcinogens in it too. I still drink water. I don't mean to dismiss what you say because there is some truth to it, but I am just saying those carcinogens can be really tasty if done right.

Here's something to think about with regards to sear marks, they are carcinogenic and something you really don't want in your food. Just saying
:rolleyes: just saying

Here's the problem with sear marks from Grill Grates... they may be pretty but that's not enough sear IMO! I like a full coverage sear, not just sear marks. Bring on the carcinogenics baby, they're friggin delicious! :D

I bought them for my gas grill, sposed to be hotter, faster, better, and I suppose they are, but it's not as big of a difference as they claim, but... I think upside down is the way forward. plus they wont slide around as much if you can get the ribs to go between your existing rack bars.

They work fine for me, and I use them over both charcoal and on an old Genesis. The food that I cook on them makes me smile.

In addition to the ones that use on my 26er at home, I have a set on my Dad's old (cheap) Char-Broil gasser. I wouldn't cook on it all without them.

As far as grates up or down, I'm up most of the time. I know all about the Maillard Reaction but, (1) my family likes the crosshatch and (2) I believe that even with the grates up, the fact that the "bottom" is still so close to the meat that you get a lot of flavor from the spatter of the fact back onto the surface of the steak.

BD

Back