Butt 'n Bird (and a photo critique request)

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I have a new laptop, and to me my pics look over saturated compared to my old one.
I've tried to get the colors calibrated, but not sure which computer is more accurate.
So if anyone would care to, please let me know how these pics look to you.
Thanks in advance!

Sunday it was a 6 lb. butt on the 14.5" WSM with pecan and maple for smoke, SYD for the rub.
The outside temp was 12F when I started the cook.

xL5NlnTgckPzkumh3dlPUI01Bd0-_3BWNSzUjv73g31XY_cyoEKlf1Z2kzCe3J52ej_Au9D0Ji4=w1344-h898-no

Still a ways to go after 7 hours, it was foiled at this time.

ziOr3lxtGZBUoZvVJ_WZ7HiCP448QTXCSImy46fAt200P-V7U46IWait20vFIwtK4B6xV_lpVD0=w1344-h898-no

It took nearly 10 hours total, didn't get a pic of it pulled or dinner, but here is yesterday's lunch.

8JsugIFZw2YrAhhLclfrPKSFb3r7nvc_FjZfTE8eQ2iKE2Z94B_-_v66QKawvXeu5Lex9n5LaPk=w1344-h898-no

Last night it was 40F with wind and felt much colder than Sunday's 12.
Boneless/skinless thighs breaded with Andy's seasoned breading, and skillet spuds.

vZ-yJeuEOtEua6dPnQ2W0DHAQMtFJLDwbCiY2-GQDnGSuU4vDEdh1A7jnPM5CbuPKCjBhemPoQg=w1344-h898-no

A dab of ranch dressing on the potatoes, and butter browned bread crumbs on the asparagus.

Zc_Adb2wNGZpmZN8t5bPRWxCxKMMN0onZJFMf4fETGxctNpBoKgKBvDc7KfL7M10iL6grOZqBqY=w1344-h898-no

Thanks for taking a look!

Great looking meal!

Yes the photo's appear to be fine. We do a bunch of rendering work and the colors look spot on.

I think your pictures look fabulous Bob. The second, third and fifth shots are really crisp and just jump out at you when viewed. The jalapeno salad is my favorite.

Food colour looks fine. The last pic-->beans are out of focus: as they are part of the dish IMO they shouldn't be.

Bob, first, great looking grub!

Second, as for over-saturation I do think the pulled pork and sauce in the wrap pic appear over-saturated to me. I'm not a photography wiz but there is a difference between direct and indirect light and pics with white and dark elements can be pretty challenging. For example, if in that pic a whole wheat wrap was used and on a medium brown plate it might have balanced out a bit more.

Mr. Bob. I feel a bit ridiculous offering input; I'm new here and it isn't my nature to express criticism. However; you asked, so in my humble opinion the reds and greens look saturated. I shoot weddings and use software and meters to calibrate my monitors but I might have a tendency to lean more toward neutral rather than vivid colors except for when I purposely create such an effect.

But I wish I could fill a plate as appetizing as you do and I love the selective focus!

Mr. Bob. I feel a bit ridiculous offering input; I'm new here and it isn't my nature to express criticism. However; you asked, so in my humble opinion the reds and greens look saturated. I shoot weddings and use software and meters to calibrate my monitors but I might have a tendency to lean more toward neutral rather than vivid colors except for when I purposely create such an effect.

But I wish I could fill a plate as appetizing as you do and I love the selective focus!

Please don't feel that way, this is the input I was wanting, thank you.
I agree on the reds and greens, reds are better now than before some tweaking, they were really blown out.
On my old computer the colors look more neutral, the new one has a 1080 monitor and I thought that might be the reason they appear over saturated to me.

Bob,

Food looks great - really great. And from my very amateur perspective, pics are quite good; with the possible exception of the plated taco pic. To me, that one might be a little over saturated. I didn't get that feeling on the others though.

Edit: Looking at them again on a different computer, with a 24 in monitor instead of my 11" Mac, I still have the same observation.

Last edited:
The third (plated) picture is your signature picture, but the other pictures aren't like your photos usually are. The crisp & color in them isn't what you normally post. Don't get me wrong, these photos are fantastic, just not typical Bob C photos

Excellent cooks

Bob, those pics are outstanding and the cooks are awesome also. Great job on both counts.

Back