An honor, an insult, or just a wicked sense of humor?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Photo of famous Kreuz Market pitmaster Roy Perez, seen at Blue Oak BBQ in New Orleans.

Drxc6Ay.jpg

x1C28nz.jpg

Photo Credit: Adam Fischler

Chris...

As Candy recently said... "a large part of cooking is the Head Cook's EGO"
Just one of those aspects of competition.

I'm not one for "art" in the bathroom so well, momma says "if you don't have something nice to say, shut up" ;)

Chris, that's a question only Roy can answer.

Personally, I believe it's a dishonour. If you're including photos of legends in your establishment, none should be in the watercloset.

This whole honor/dishonor thing is a bit ridiculous. They put him on the wall to show customers that its from people like this that great bbq comes from. Its a great, gritty, photo that shows the simplicity of great Texas Q. I don't understand why this would seem as some kind of disrespect?

On another note there have been several good bbq places open up in Nola over the past year. Big difference than even 5 yrs ago when it was only "The Joint" doing decent pork in the previous bbq wasteland.

Last edited:
Well, there you have it... straight from a local, no less.

Chris, I'm gonna hang your photo in my bathroom ;)

Nice to hear a voice of reason Austin! I agree with you, it's a photograph of a legendary cook, nothing more. The placement is not any sort of disrespect. Any inference of that is, solely, the opinion of the viewer.
Thank you for using the term disrespect properly too!
That is a pet peeve of mine, my parents were both teachers and proper use of language expected. While I understand language will change over time, respect and disrespect have become misused so often, it's become the norm. It just bugs me, end rant.

Back