Smoked Cottage Pie

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've had this cook on my radar for a couple of weeks now. Smoked Cottage Pie. Worked on this cook most of the day yesterday, while trying to keep an eye on the NFL Playoffs. Debated on whether to do it or not as our weather forecast was dismal. Decided to go for it and it all worked out, but not without some scrambling. Fired up my 22 WSM around 10:00 am and all was calm. While getting it up to temp, I prepped the chuck roast. Got it on the smoker at around 11:00 and noticed the winds had come out of nowhere and it was nasty. Again, plodded ahead. Had to run to the store when near disaster struck. I was out walking under my canopy on the way to my truck, when a gust blew in lifting my canopy about 3 feet off the ground, even with 25 lb. weights on each leg, which slid off with the force from the gust. Yikes. Digique and IGrill hooked up and running, roast just getting settled in, water pan full. Then the wind became more sustained and I thought I was going to lose it. While holding the canopy down, I pulled the probes, tore down the WSM, collapsed the canopy and reassembled WSM under the eve of my house. Up and running again in about half hour. What a fiasco. Not one of my finer decisions. Anyway, here's the cook.

Picked up a 3 lb. Chuck Roast.

Used concentrated beef base for binder and rubbed it with Black Ops Brisket Rub.

On the WSM. Running 225 with a nice chunk of Oak for smoke. This shot was taken a few minutes before lift off.

Took a peek when IT reached 150.

Once at 150, I double foiled and put back on smoker.

This pie has three main components, the smoked pot roast on the bottom, then the veggies, and finally the mashed potato topping.

Got going on the veggies while the meat was on the smoker.

Sauteed three leeks, trimmed and sliced along with some diced carrots. After about 10 minutes I added some chopped garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire Sauce and some rub.

Added a couple cups of peas along with some fresh chopped rosemary and cooked a couple more minutes.

The only thing we had with the pie was some toasted bread I'd made a couple of days ago in my new La Cloche my wife got me for Christmas.

What caught my eye with the La Cloche was the low sides. Love using my 4 qt. Dutch Ovens too but our oven is pretty high and have burned my arm a couple of times on the transfer from proofing basket to the 475 degree DO. Anyway, just another option.

After letting IT reach 206 I let roast rest in foil for about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Used my Bear Paws my son got me to shred roast.

Meat was very tender and moist. Shredding was fast and easy.

Cooked 2 1/2 lbs. of potatoes on my camp stove.

Assembled the pie. Meat on bottom.

Veggies in the middle.

Topped off with the mashed potatoes.

The final touch was some shredded white cheddar on the top.

Indirect on the kettle for around 20 minutes, as hot as I could get it.

Finished it off for about 30 seconds under the broiler.

Plated it up with the bread.

This was quite a large recipe. Will have lots of left overs. This cook was worth the wait. We both loved it and it is definitely on the list of keepers. Have a good week everyone and thanks again for looking.

Last edited:
Yes please, I'll take a skillet full! one of my all time favorites and you knocked this cook out of the park!

Great cook Cliff, going to give that one a try except no peas and I'll wait till the warmer weather gets here. Barb will eat almost anything except peas.

WOW!!! Cliff, you nailed that one way out of the park. Going to have to give that one a try. Fantastic my friend as always.

Great cook Cliff, going to give that one a try except no peas and I'll wait till the warmer weather gets here. Barb will eat almost anything except peas.

Excellent cook Cliff, comfort food for sure. As a youth I dropped almost all my peas onto the napkin on my lap, and then dropped it on the floor for the dog to eat.
Now I enjoy peas and need to make this recipe.

Your Cottage Pie looks excellent Cliff! I eat a lot more rice than I do potatoes, so I wondered
what it would be like if the taters were swapped out with fried rice? Gotta try it to find out.

Back