Pork Butt Help

MattNico

Hey all,

I just got a 22" and I'm 0-2. I started a cook yesterday at 10am (cold day 17 degrees) at a steady 250 degrees. At the 6 hour mark the temp started dropping because my coal was depleted. I removed the pork butt and wrapped it in aluminum foil to rest. I ran to the store, reloaded the smoker with coal and let it burn steady and one hour later added the pork back onto the smoker (still in aluminum foil). Using the Thermo Pro thermometer the internal temp reached 195 so I removed it from the smoker in excitement. When I cut it open there were areas that didn't look cooked enough. As the meat cooled i re-inserted the thermometer and the internal temp was no 170. I threw it back on the smoker without the aluminum foil for over an hour and the internal temp hit 180. I then inserted it into the oven at 300 degrees for one hour and when i removed it the internal temp was 176! The flavor was great but it was not tender and didn't have the texture of pulled pork. I don't know if i'm over or under cooked. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Images below.

IMG_1156.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG_1157.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG_1158.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG_1159.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks!

Matt N

On your initial internal temp of 195, you most likely were touching the bone. Six hours is way short for a pork butt. You were probably just entering or nearing the "stall" phase. Normally a 12-14 hr. cook. Also, you should use internal temp as a data point, but verify by probing for tenderness. Lastly, when you reach your internal temp/probing tenderness, then you should wrap and rest for a minimum 40 min. (I go about 2 hrs.)

When you went to the store to get additional coal, you should have just finished in the oven at 250. You would have already got your "smoking" in.

Was about to say the same thing as Randall. Probably the probe wasn't in the heart of the meat. I like to take my pork butt to 204 also. I usually cheat when I foil it at the stall and finish it in the oven. Just keep at it, you'll get it.

Thanks Randall. Total cooking time was 10 hours. Do you think if I would have waited an additional 2-4 hours the meat would have gotten more tender?

Everything Randall said.

Although you say total time was 10 hr, not all of that time was "in the temps" so to speak. Extra time would have helped but finish it in the oven next time.

Your extra hour: a lot depends on where you happened to stick the thermo as well for the temp to have fallen.

Under cooked IMO.

Last edited:
An eight to ten pound butt takes 12 hours minimum at temperature. The best part about this hobby, is that even your failures are edible. Lol I'm sure you learned a lot from your first cook. Imagine how much better the next one will be.

If I'm going to eat at the standard dinner hour (5-6 PM) I start my butt at 2 AM. It has never been done too early in my experience. :)

Matt, yes, additional time would have resulted in more tender meat. Looking at your pictures, the 1st looks as though you cut into the roast. A properly done pork butt would fall apart. The last picture looks as the the bark hadn't truly set yet even though it seems to have sauce on it. The third picture definitely shows undercooked. Don't be disheartened, there are many good tips here. Think more of 1:15 - 1:30/lb. "at temperature" as a general rule of thumb.

Now, make sure you post pictures of your next pork butt!!!

Next up: ribs, then chicken, and of course........brisket!!! :wsm:

verify by probing for tenderness.

When you are checking temp, check it in multiple places and pay attention to the texture as the probe goes in. When it's done, it goes in very easy. Also, as it gets close, you will notice that some parts of the butt are very tender (soft) and others are not. That's your learning moment right there - where you can feel the difference between done and not quite done. Personally, I go ahead and pull it at that point and it will finish as it rests (in foil in a cooler for a few hours).

Good luck and good eating.

Matt.

Make sure that charcoal ring is fully loaded before you start. A fully loaded 22 should run easily for 12+ hrs. (My 14 will). Whatever doesn't get used can be used for another cook/grill. Preparation is just as important as the cook. I usually start planning a long cook a couple of days in advance. The last thing you want to be doing is running around like a "one-armed wallpaper hanger" getting stuff you forgot. (Been there, done that). What you want to be doing is sitting back, enjoying a beverage, "supervising" the WSM doing its thing.

It sounds like you weren't using some kind of leave-in thermometer. They are easily available & cheap. (It doesn't have to be a Maverick). I use one when I'm doing a roast in the oven. Just make sure it's in the centre of the meat & not touching any bones. For pork shoulders I always go to 205f IT.

Having said all that, your final product was edible. That's a result in my book. Keep at it, you're doing fine.

I concur with what's been said. I have no experience with cooking in such cold conditions, but have read that a welding blanket wrapped around the smoker and retained with heavy duty steel clips should help retain heat in your smoker which should reduce your fuel consumption.

As said above, pulled pork take a lot of time and lots of fuel. It's always a good idea to over fuel on long cooks.

If you are using water in the pan, cooking in cold weather will use a lot more fuel.
I don't use water, however.... if I were.... I'd just use a small amount - maybe a quart or less & add more (hot water) as necessary.

^^
If you are using water, I suggest you boil a kettle. That way you won't use up so much fuel heating the water. My 0.02p.

Forget the water, foil the pan.
Never let the amount of coal get low, keep adding to keep the temp up.
I run butts hotter, more in the 275 range.
Cook to internal temp of 205.

Also make sure you get the pork shoulder/pork butt/boston butt and not the picnic shoulder/picnic ham, it can get a little confusing with all the different names.

If cooking a bone-in butt, I personally do not rely on internal temp. Temperature is just another tool to use, not to be relied upon solely. I cook it until it's done.
When you can wiggle the bone and it wants to come out, and the butt looks like it "has collapsed in on itself"....it's done. That could be 195, 199, 202, 205 or 208.
Pull it off, and if wrapped, allow it to rest in a cooler for at least one hour. If not wrapped, wrap it in foil, then wrap your package in a towel and place in a cooler for at least one hour.

Back