Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decorations Down, Bread Made and Burgers for Dinner

Thanks for sharing. I finally made your pizza dough recipe. We love it.
    https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?687...-still-cooking

It all looks wonderful Barb!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb D View Post
    The middle one is an Artisan Sourdough Rye bread which is Rich’s first time making. {snip} Rye bread out, doesn’t have the oven spring he would like but the flavor was fantastic. So he will be tweaking it till he gets it right.
    I love Rye bread! Doesn't look like a whole lot of tweaking is required. Taking down Christmas decorations is the worst, I think the burgers & fries is an excellent reward for putting Christmas away. Nicely done Barb!
    85 78

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Terrific looking burgers Barb!
    Terrific looking bread Rich!

Jo will start taking down our Christmas decorations this weekend.
    It takes a few days for her to get them all up and all down, she loves the up part, but not the down part.
    Fire and smoke brought us all together, sharing and respect has made us all friends.

TVWBB All-Star Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I agree, putting up Christmas is much more pleasant than taking it down.
    It takes my wife about a week to get it set up and three to break it up.
    I will reward her with some Olive chicken with truffle mushroom fettuccine.
    She earns her pampering!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Don't know your rye recipe but:

1)try 1/3 rye and 2/3 white
    2)if you want more rye, try adding wheat gluten about 1T to each 2 cups of rye flour. This varies depending on where you read about it. Try varying it if you want.

The trouble with rye is if you knead it (what you think is enough, or too much ), it tends to cut the gluten strands (and it won't rise like you expect). This is what happens if you use less than 50% white in a recipe.

Just mix it enough to get everything moistened. That's why I like the overnight no knead version (of everything).

If you already knew this, I apologize .

edit-->BTW, your burgers look sooooo good.
    Len, here's the recipe, I used the sourdough starter version. My starter is super active and I think the overnight proofing may have been too long for the amount of flour to keep the starter active. It went about 14 hours at room temp. I'll drop down to 11-12 hours and see if that works. I've done that on all my no knead breads and that seems to get a much better rise.
    I will say the flavor is truly outstanding, best rye I've ever tasted..

The problem I have with bread making is we're at 5600 ft. and every bread recipe I do I have to tweak it one way or another.
    I'll get it figured out

http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Great looking meal! All of our inside decorations are down. Our outdoor lights are under 36" + of snow. So they are going to have to stay until this all goes away.
    18.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Len, here's the recipe, I used the sourdough starter version. My starter is super active and I think the overnight proofing may have been too long for the amount of flour to keep the starter active. It went about 14 hours at room temp. I'll drop down to 11-12 hours and see if that works. I've done that on all my no knead breads and that seems to get a much better rise.
    I will say the flavor is truly outstanding, best rye I've ever tasted..

The problem I have with bread making is we're at 5600 ft. and every bread recipe I do I have to tweak it one way or another.
    I'll get it figured out

http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/
    I keep forgetting about your "elevation" issue. I can only offer tips based on mine (~700 ft). I've over-proofed dough and thankfully it's still turned out (although a little unwieldly prior to "the basket").

Difficult for me to judge when it's "2-3x" original size (I mix in a 12 litre tub) but one further suggestion I'd make is that maybe your "room temp" is still too high. Although I haven't used them, there are recipes whereby you proof overnight in the fridge and just let it warm up an hour or two before baking.

Maybe consider adapting one of those recipes for your elevation.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Bartlett View Post
    Burger and fries look so delicious Barb. That's some great looking bread too. Only 11 months before you put those decorations back up!
    Thanks Cliff, don't remind me. Like some of the others have said its a lot more fun putting them up then taking the, down. I do have it down so what so it's not to bad.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Terrific looking burgers Barb!
    Terrific looking bread Rich!

Jo will start taking down our Christmas decorations this weekend.
    It takes a few days for her to get them all up and all down, she loves the up part, but not the down part.
    Tell Jo I totally understand.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12