Competition Smoke Wood

BruceS

TVWBB Member
What is the primary or mostly used wood type used in competitions (i.e. oak, apple, hickory)?

I have the feeling that pecan is the most used. Just a gut reaction, no factual data to back that up.

Let me revise that a little... Both Pecan and Cherry.
Pecan because is generally the go to wood for a lot of smokers.
Cherry because of the super mahogany color it gives meats.

Last edited:
I think Bob is correct. I don't have the background Bob does but I read a lot and I'm seeing more and more pros using pecan.

We had a BBQ competition here a couple of summers ago, mostly local teams. About 20 teams competed. I asked about half of them what type of wood they used it was a mixed bag but 5 or 6 said pecan though.
I remember that because I went out and got some pecan to try and still use it a lot.

In my area I see alot of apple, hickory, and cherry (I use apple/hickory) Lots of guys use pecan too

IMO the wood choice has less to do with your product than how you use it. Any of the ones mentioned will do just fine.

Good luck on the comp trail!

When I compete I use straight cherry wood. Got to be Western Wood Cherry chunks. Cherry and hickory is a good combo that a few better teams use.I prefer to just use cherry.

When I compete I use straight cherry wood.

Rusty, you know I got nuttin' but love for The Kettle Man... but... please consider using something in addition to cherry. It has been a while, but in your previous pics, the bark is frequently dark. That can be ok for pork (on chunks or in pulled) and brisket, but could hurt your appearance scores on other categories.

I already have my custom "Rusty Kettle - Bentonville, AR - 2017" fan club hats ordered ... don't let anything get in your way

Rusty, you know I got nuttin' but love for The Kettle Man... but... please consider using something in addition to cherry. It has been a while, but in your previous pics, the bark is frequently dark. That can be ok for pork (on chunks or in pulled) and brisket, but could hurt your appearance scores on other categories.

I already have my custom "Rusty Kettle - Bentonville, AR - 2017" fan club hats ordered ... don't let anything get in your way

This was from Whitings last year. This is What my ribs look like. Straight cherry wood. Seriosly asking does that look to dark? Not being smart just asking. Thanks for the input. Probably could add hickory. Never thought about cherry causing it to be too dark. I am low speed data until next month so had to use a pic from last year. They look like that though. Thanks Scott.

You can do just fine with only cherry IMO. If things are turning out too dark just wrap earlier. Plenty of good teams around here use only cherry.

Ribs are looking better Rusty. Good job

I'm still on the Rusty bandwagon. Scott where can I get one of those "Rusty Kettle - Bentonville, AR - 2017" fan club hats? ;)

Thanks. I hope we make it to Bentonville but it's a tough field. My only goal is to keep from being last place. You never know though. :)

Back