Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition Smoke Wood

Competition Smoke Wood

What is the primary or mostly used wood type used in competitions (i.e. oak, apple, hickory)?

I have the feeling that pecan is the most used. Just a gut reaction, no factual data to back that up.

Let me revise that a little... Both Pecan and Cherry.
    Pecan because is generally the go to wood for a lot of smokers.
    Cherry because of the super mahogany color it gives meats.
    Last edited by Bob Bass; 01-08-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    KCBS, Operation BBQ Relief

I think Bob is correct. I don't have the background Bob does but I read a lot and I'm seeing more and more pros using pecan.
    Food is the ultimate passion. It's neccesity and indulgence all in one

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    We had a BBQ competition here a couple of summers ago, mostly local teams. About 20 teams competed. I asked about half of them what type of wood they used it was a mixed bag but 5 or 6 said pecan though.
    I remember that because I went out and got some pecan to try and still use it a lot.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Totally depends on where you are, and what you are cooking.
    Blue Performer 22 WSM

TVWBB Member
    In my area I see alot of apple, hickory, and cherry (I use apple/hickory) Lots of guys use pecan too

IMO the wood choice has less to do with your product than how you use it. Any of the ones mentioned will do just fine.

Good luck on the comp trail!
    Meatcraft BBQ Team, 22 WSM, 18 WSM
    Auber Controllers

When I compete I use straight cherry wood. Got to be Western Wood Cherry chunks. Cherry and hickory is a good combo that a few better teams use.I prefer to just use cherry.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winslow View Post
    When I compete I use straight cherry wood.
    Rusty, you know I got nuttin' but love for The Kettle Man... but... please consider using something in addition to cherry. It has been a while, but in your previous pics, the bark is frequently dark. That can be ok for pork (on chunks or in pulled) and brisket, but could hurt your appearance scores on other categories.

I already have my custom "Rusty Kettle - Bentonville, AR - 2017" fan club hats ordered ... don't let anything get in your way

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shimano View Post
    Rusty, you know I got nuttin' but love for The Kettle Man... but... please consider using something in addition to cherry. It has been a while, but in your previous pics, the bark is frequently dark. That can be ok for pork (on chunks or in pulled) and brisket, but could hurt your appearance scores on other categories.

I already have my custom "Rusty Kettle - Bentonville, AR - 2017" fan club hats ordered ... don't let anything get in your way

This was from Whitings last year. This is What my ribs look like. Straight cherry wood. Seriosly asking does that look to dark? Not being smart just asking. Thanks for the input. Probably could add hickory. Never thought about cherry causing it to be too dark. I am low speed data until next month so had to use a pic from last year. They look like that though. Thanks Scott.

TVWBB Member
    Look good Rusty. Not too dark at all !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast