Wifi connection help

DP Smith

Hi guys.

Hoping someone can help me now you americans should be waking up. Ive spent the afternoon searching the forum but cant figure it out im beyond my depth.

Put my heatermeter v4.2 together two days ago and started to set it up following the guide on the wiki. I can connect to the webui through ethernet with the ip address assigned by my router but when i go to the wireless tab under network the adapter doesnt show up when i scan for it. Originally i had an adapter with an mt7601 chipset so thought i had worked it out. Replaced with the tp link TL-WN823N this afternoon thinking it would solve the problem but no dice.

The issue is that that wireless adapter isn't supported by the wireless driver in the Linux kernel 4.4.14 that the snapshot image runs (it was only added to Linux mainline 3 months ago). It probably will work with the current Linkmeter release v13, but it will not be supported in v14 when it is released. We only support a select number of wifi adapters because we do not run on a full Raspbian Pi image. Supported wifi adapters are listed in the wiki.

The issue is that that wireless adapter isn't supported by the wireless driver in the Linux kernel 4.4.14 that the snapshot image runs (it was only added to Linux mainline 3 months ago). It probably will work with the current Linkmeter release v13, but it will not be supported in v14 when it is released. We only support a select number of wifi adapters because we do not run on a full Raspbian Pi image. Supported wifi adapters are listed in the wiki.

Thanks Bryan. I noticed the tp link adapter is under the rtl8192cu assumed heading and i was able to source it locally yesterday afternoon so i gave it a try. I will have to order an adapter online and wait. So i should select only one of the 4 adapters under the v11 tested heading?

Thanks Bryan. I noticed the tp link adapter is under the rtl8192cu assumed heading and i was able to source it locally yesterday afternoon so i gave it a try. I will have to order an adapter online and wait. So i should select only one of the 4 adapters under the v11 tested heading?
Yeah the new snapshot uses the new Realtek wifi driver in the Linux kernel so they're slowly adding adapters as the maintainers tag each device as "tested". The wiki page still lists the supported devices for the previous release of the Linkmeter firmware which used the old driver. The old driver supported more devices, but was becoming harder and harder to keep up to date with the kernel's nl80211 interface so someone wrote a brand new driver from scratch that will be kept up to date.

So yeah the best thing to do would be to get the Edimax EW-7811Un for client mode wifi.

Ok makes sense. Ive found a couple places locally that have the edimax so ill pick one up tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed i have no more trouble setting it up.

Thanks!

My Edimax just arrived yesterday. I got it set up with no problem. Crazy how something that small works so well.

My Edimax just arrived yesterday. I got it set up with no problem. Crazy how something that small works so well.

Yep. Picked up an edimax the next morning and worked straight out of the box. Cheaper than the other two adapters i bought too. Ive already got one of them in my other pi running retropie and kodi so im not at too much of a loss.

Back