Anyone have nice examples of pit probe placement above meat in kamado?

Dominick A

TVWBB Fan
I am in the market for a new thermocouple pit probe. I had one like this http://www.thermoworks.com/PRB-K-421?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB that was running through the dome for a while until I accidentally melted the cable and now it is reading all over the place.

I like to have the pit probe off the grates, because, more meat of course! :)

So, my ask is, does anyone have a setup they can share that is steady and reliable where the pit probe is somehow fastened to the top or side of the dome on the inside, either coming from the dome top, or through the gasket, where the tip of the probe is reading at a level that is nicely placed above big hunks of meat like brisket or pork shoulder?

I was thinking of doing some sort of modification to maybe attach or extend a rod from the crappy dome thermometer, and then secure an alligator clip to that, or maybe just a simple TC wire. I am just really curious to see what you kamado HeaterMeter guys may have going already.

Thanks!
Dominick

You can buy a dome/lid probe that sticks out a couple inches. I'd get that, then run an empty rig with a standard probe at grate level and your dome probe, then you can find the relationship and be able to figure out your new target temps.

After further thought, I think I would definitely like to run my probe through the gasket and not through the top of the dome vent, such that I can close the vents when I am done and not have to remove the probe as I have been doing. But I still want to get the reading above the food so I can maximize the surface area. I have seen the probe trees, but that still takes up grate space.

I wonder if I could get creative and run something up along the very outer edge of the grate, that would follow the contour of the lid when closed, then drop down in the middle just above the meat.

Anyone have or see anything like that?

Haven't seen anything like that, but why not?? You can buy some 1"x0.125" aluminum stock and put a nice bend in it and assemble it to your grate to have the probe hang out wherever you want!

Are you trying to measure the temperature of the Heated Air as it is applied to the meat that is cooking OR after the Heat from the Heated Air has been Removed because it was used to cook the meat ?

12" probe seems long for a pit probe.....if you had one of those small ones that have an alligator clip on the end, maybe you could 'clip' it onto the top of a meat probe?

That would be a cool idea....a meat probe/pit probe combo probe.... the handle of the meat probe would have a TC(or thermistor) and that way you only have one cable (4 wires bundled together, with 2x connectors at HM end) going to the HM.....but wouldn't the proximity of the pit probe near 'cold meat' affect the temps?

I seem to remember Bryan testing various positions of the pit probe and posting about it. Can't remember if he used a chunk of cold meat in his testing though. I'm sure he'll see this and chime in.

I wonder if I could get creative and run something up along the very outer edge of the grate, that would follow the contour of the lid when closed, then drop down in the middle just above the meat.
That's how I have my probe on my large big green egg. The probe wire comes up the back lid hinge, then is tucked in the seam around the edge of the lid, goes through the handle and up inside and I clip the probe to the end of the existing dial gauge thermometer.

As for grate-level vs dome-level temperatures, I am a strong proponent of dome temperatures because they are most consistent. If I weren't going to cook anything in the smoker, I'd say put the probe at grate-level right dead center of the grill but if I could do that, why am I even using the BBQ again? Which is all brought up in that wiki article. It is pretty difficult to perform the same test with a cold chunk of meat in there too because there's no place to put the "center" probe without it being influenced by the meat. Dome is just the best because the wire practically isn't even there as far as I am concerned.

Bryan,

Do you have a picture of this setup?

That's how I have my probe on my large big green egg. The probe wire comes up the back lid hinge, then is tucked in the seam around the edge of the lid, goes through the handle and up inside and I clip the probe to the end of the existing dial gauge thermometer.

As for grate-level vs dome-level temperatures, I am a strong proponent of dome temperatures because they are most consistent. If I weren't going to cook anything in the smoker, I'd say put the probe at grate-level right dead center of the grill but if I could do that, why am I even using the BBQ again? Which is all brought up in that wiki article. It is pretty difficult to perform the same test with a cold chunk of meat in there too because there's no place to put the "center" probe without it being influenced by the meat. Dome is just the best because the wire practically isn't even there as far as I am concerned.

I second the request for a picture! I've been thinking about where to run my tc for my big red joe and also what length is the tc cable? I keep scouring ebay but don't know what to grab!

Do you have a picture of this setup?
I kept missing the opportunity to get out there and get pictures (it is so dark inside the dome it has to be done during the part of the day where sun shines into it, and then I completely forgot about it! To make up for forgetting I am now including a WHOLE ALBUM of pictures. The wire length is about 2m/6ft.

I have a 'washer probe' thermocouple but the concept is the same for the alligator clip version. It is simply clipped to the existing dial thermometer in the dome.

The wire runs out through a slit I cut in the gasket and through the handle to help hold it in place.

The wire runs in the little channel between the metal band and the lid. Originally I hot glued it into the channel but that lasted no time at all. It somehow seems to stay in place though so /shrug

I run the wire back through the lid hinge which provides some strain relief and also takes up some of the wire so it doesn't dangle around and get rolled over or stepped on all the time.

The wire makes it back up to the front where it will plug into the HeaterMeter and stays off the shelf for the most part. Bringing it over the shelf supports means you can pick up the HeaterMeter and use it without running out of wire slack.

When the lid is open, there is nothing getting in the way when you load up the grill, it isn't even there as far as I am concerned.

I use a BBQ DigiQ DX (and a Maverick ET-733) for my WSM 22.5. It's pit probe comes with an alligator clip, which most people would just clip it on the top side of the grate taking up a bit of (great grate) real estate. I installed a heavy duty paper clip to the center of the grate and mount the alligator clip to the (hanging) paper clip from the UNDERSIDE of the grate. Problem solved.

I have been playing with the pit probe placement after some issues with hot spots clipped directly on the grate and the rest of the grill was significantly cooler. I did beef ribs yesterday with it clipped to the sensor on the built in temperature gauge. I was trying to smoke at 225 and my meat stopping rising at around 175 degrees. I ended up sticking my maverick remote probe at grate level above the difuser and it was reading like 180 degrees. I ended up sticking a bamboo stick into the beef ribs and clipping the pit probe a couple inches about the meat. That registered much closer to the probe at grate level and I was able to bring up the temperature and finished off the ribs for a few more hours.

So yea...at least on my grill (Akron) in the dome (on the sides) was not a very good place to put the probe. ill have to keep on trying to find the best placement for my grill

Back